View Full Version : glossy accordion problem with IE8

08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong but I'm new here.
My problem is with glossy accordion not displaying correctly in IE8, it's fine in FF & Chrome but all over the place in IE8. I have the index page up at www.philswebites.com if someone could have a look and point out any mistakes I've made I'd appreciate it.


08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Right now there are two doctypes and two <head> tags. You need only one of each and fixing that is a good place to start. Let us know when that is fixed and we'll see if there are other errors.

08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks azoomer, have removed extra doctypes and <head> tag. No change to menu in IE8

08-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi pdoig,
I have tried to clean up your page a bit. There where/are many problems with duplicate tags. Basically a page should follow a structure like this

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title> A nice title</title>
<link href="css/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
You would normally put all the css and the javascript in the head section between <head> and </head>
and the content goes between the <body> and </body>
It is only allowed with one opening and one closing tag of the following:<html></html>,<head></head>, <body></body>, if you understand what I mean.
It is too time consuming for me to make the page validate, so you can try yourself pasting the url into the validator that you link to at the bottom of the page, and then correct the errors one by one.
I played around with it a little to try to correct the most obvious errors and in the attachment you can see what I have now.

I'm not sure if this will be useful to your because the page may render completely different now that i have changed a lot, but you can look at the changes in structure to get an idea. Save it as an html file beside your original page and try it out, but call it something else so you don't delete the original.
I think the menu should be working in IE now. There is quite a lot work left if you want it to be correct and validate, so good luck and make a new post if you have questions.

08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for your efforts azoomer, hopefully I can fix it now.