PDA

View Full Version : My Dropdown Menu Does Not Accept New Additions?

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
My website has had DD script for Dropdown Menu for a couple of years now.
Recently I added a new item to the list in the Dropdown Menu but it won't appear.

What could be wrong? Can anyone please help?
Thanking you in advance.

djr33
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
1. This was posted in the wrong section and without required information-- like a link to the script. We need more information to help. Please check the posting format to add that information, and for now I've moved it to the right location.

2. Specifically, we need to see your page so that we can try to help-- without that the best guess is that you changed a setting incorrectly or made a typo.

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Please view code at www.golfntours.com
Click menu bar: Golf Packages+ and Golf Courses+
I have added MYANMAR in both; should appear after 'MALAYSIA' but it doesn't.
Thanks

Beverleyh
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
And the link to the DD script please so we dont have to hunt...

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-07-2010, 05:20 PM
But what's the 'link to the script', Beverley?
DD's script is in the page source, is it not what you are referring to?

I'm an amateur; apologies. :)
Thanks

Beverleyh
08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes a link to the script page on DD. Its so we can easily refer to an 'unblemished' version, with all available settings, usage explanations, and additional documentation while comparing it to the one in your page.

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Is this the link to DD at my 'Header section'?

<a CLASS="topmenu" HREF="http://www.golfntours.com/en/orderinquiry.php">Order Enquiry</a> <span CLASS="split">|</span> <a CLASS="topmenu" HREF="default.htm" ONCLICK="return clickreturnvalue()" ONMOUSEOVER="dropdownmenu(this, event, golfpackages, '130px')" ONMOUSEOUT="delayhidemenu()">Golf Packages+</a>

When I installed DD on my sitea few years back, I just followed the instructions then. Can't remember now anything else I might have uploaded following the instructions that I might have to update if making changes, are there?

Please help.
Many thanks :o

djr33
08-08-2010, 05:51 AM
That's just the code from your page. What we need is the link to the script on this website-- the URL/address for the page with the directions. Then we can compare your site to the real page and determine what the difference is or what else you will need to do to make this work.

We could find it ourselves, but you haven't posted the name either and there are several "drop down menu" scripts here.

Is it this one?
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I honestly can't recall having a link to any of your sites.
I remember having to upload the scripts and 'make sure the source of the code i.e. DD' remains.

Was there any other files from DD that I had to and uploaded in order for the dropdown menu to work?

I'm almost totally lost, Beverley.
Please help.

djr33
08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Always make a note of where you get things so you can find them later. Looking at your source code, it does appear to be the menu I linked to above, though I'm not sure what version since it's now 2.2 and you said that you got this a while ago.

Nothing in particular seems wrong with the changes you made, but I believe the reason it isn't working is that you have actually duplicated the code so that you have two <script> sections for the same menu. In each, you define the variables for the menu. In the first, you define the new links, and in the second you only have the old ones. Since the second is then replacing the first, you'll never be able to update it this way.

You should be able to just entirely remove the second set of code (I think-- save a backup first!) and everything should be fine.

GOLFnTours.com - Francis
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks a thousand djr33; it's fixed now.

Yes, it was duplicated and I got the second deleted; working perfectly now.

Bow, bow..thanks again, to Bev too.

[If you do not mind; would you comment if my use of the dropdown menu on my site has been a little clumsy looking?] Thanks again.

djr33
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM
What do you mean exactly? The code now is clean enough, if that's what you're asking. In terms of layout, it fits in with your layout well.
The only problem I noticed with it is that now that the menus are so tall, they approach the top of my window-- if you add too many more, it might actually go off the top of the screen, so watch out for that.