PDA

View Full Version : Web site makers?

Turkster
10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
im new to the whole deal of making a web site, but im willing to learn how to, where do i start? i do have dreamweaver8 on my PC but it looks and feels so un friendly to use for a learner,

Anyone?

FordCorsair
10-21-2005, 08:44 AM
In the UK many colleges run evening classes at very reasonable rates for these types of applications (25-70). Even in the holiday periods, to get some more money in while the full time student is away, the colleges run daytime courses over a few days.

I too was completely lost when I looked at Dreamweaver 4 for the first time (2001). Alternatively grab some sites off the web open them up in Dreamweaver and then look how they are constructed in code and on the layout page. Open the images/thumb nails up in a phot application an see how big thier files are as a guide too...

Good luck (I am not an authority on web design but I can relate to the daunting task ahead of you)

mwinter
10-21-2005, 10:55 AM
im new to the whole deal of making a web site, but im willing to learn how to, where do i start?That would depend on your intentions; your long-term goals. Do you just want to knock up a personal site for fun, or do you want to learn to do things 'properly'?

i do have dreamweaver8 on my PC [...]If you're taking the first of the two options above, then I would recommend finding a good Dreamweaver tutorial and become familiar with the program (can't help you there, I'm afraid). However, if you want to take the second, I would suggest you forget about Dreamweaver entirely, for now.

I'll leave it there until you reply.

Mike

Turkster
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
thanks for your input guys, i want to learn how to do it as i want to build and maintain our own company web site, and not keep shelling out $$$ to otheres for something that i want to learn to do, www.cangroups.com is a web site i want to copy, its ours but made by a web designer, i just want to change the pictures and photos, any more ideas?

thanks

The Turkster

FordCorsair
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
looks like your site was created in Macromedia Flash. dreamweaver wouldn't help here. the web browser is playing a .swf (swiff) file and the 'designer' probably has all the original files and your company may have to buy the flash files off the designer. (the designer wants you to go back for updates, that's how they make their money).

That's how I see it. By the way it is a nice, clean and tidy site, easy to navigate and quick. Let the designer make his money for now until you are upto speed on Flash or other web design packages!!

good luck.