PDA

View Full Version : Positioning at the bottom of the page

wkenny
10-20-2005, 04:25 PM
The web designer software I use wraps all page objects in <div> tags and wraps the whole lot with <body><div> </div></body>. All the divs are given absolute positions and dimensions.

I want to be able to add links at the bottom of each page, either using a php include file or by using a program to read in existing htm and adding the new stuff.

Directly editing, I have tried putting in <p>text</p> tags between the last </div> and the </body> tags, but the text renders at the top of the page.

I have also tried adding my own div (both inside and outside the 'master' div) with position:relative;top=95%, but this gives unpredictable results.

Is there any way to be sure that my links will be positioned at the bottom i.e. below every other object on the page?

mwinter
10-21-2005, 09:43 AM
The web designer software I use wraps all page objects in <div> tags and wraps the whole lot with <body><div> </div></body>. All the divs are given absolute positions and dimensions.Get new software. No, seriously.

If the markup shown on the product site (http://www.stormdance.net/) is the typical output of that program, it's on a par with Frontpage. That's not a complement.

I want to be able to add links at the bottom of each pageWhat do you mean by 'page'? Do you just mean somewhere after everything else, or fixed at the bottom of the viewport, or something else?

Directly editing, I have tried putting in <p>text</p> tags between the last </div> and the </body> tags, but the text renders at the top of the page.A product of your software. Absolutely positioning an element moves it out of the flow. This means it doesn't affect how other elements are laid-out. As everything is absolutely positioned, your new paragraph is the first thing to be laid-out statically (normally), so it's rendered at the top.

Mike

wkenny
10-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Mike

Like all newcomers I wanted something quick and easy to use that did not break the bank. My site is in English and Spanish and Antenna makes using two languages very simple. There are other features which have saved a lot of time.

As my needs have become a little more complex, I have come to realise the limitations of the software. I have looked at some others (Citydesk, Coffee Cup and Serif Webplus) but have not been convinced they are any better. Can you recommend something good but inexpensive?

By end of page I mean somewhere after everything else.

mwinter
10-21-2005, 09:30 PM
My site is in English and Spanish and Antenna makes using two languages very simple. There are other features which have saved a lot of time.I'm sure it does have a lot of useful features. Many WYSIWYG packages do. However, this doesn't mean they do their primary job (generating HTML and CSS) well, unfortunately. For the time being, at least, only human beings are capable of that.

As my needs have become a little more complex, I have come to realise the limitations of the software. I have looked at some others (Citydesk, Coffee Cup and Serif Webplus) but have not been convinced they are any better. Can you recommend something good but inexpensive?Not really. I'm comfortable with text editors, and don't use much else. What would suit you best would depend on your precise needs and understanding of HTML and CSS.

If you're not particularly familiar with either, then some form of WYSIWYG software would be necessary. However, I've never used any such programs.

If your site is, or is becoming, complex, it might be worth your while using a content management system (CMS), which could simplify maintenance and its bilingual nature. The only problem with this route is the sheer volume of CMS packages available.

By end of page I mean somewhere after everything else.I see two solutions. Either you continue in the style of your software and absolutely position this footer, or you rewrite the document.

Mike

wkenny
10-21-2005, 11:03 PM
I'll rewrite the documents. My HTML is reasonable, CSS only a newbie, but I understand enough to know its the best way to go.

Thanks

wkenny
10-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Mike

I've set about rewriting pages with some success. I've encountered one problem I cannot overcome.

I have Google ads on my pages but these are no longer showing on my new page in IE. They show ok in Opera.

I have uploaded a demo to www.estateagentsespana.com/costadelsol/layout.htm.

I have scripting enabled - the home page uses scripts to display a top nav bar and this shows ok in IE.

I'd appreciate if you could advise as to what the problem might be.

Thanks

wkenny
10-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Mike

Ignore last post - got it sussed (all on my own too, whoopee) DOCTYPE Xhtml