PDA

View Full Version : jQuery Multi Level CSS Menu #2 not appearing over layers

rsollman
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
1) Script Title: jQuery Multi Level CSS Menu #2

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/jquery_multi_level_css_menu_2/

3) Describe problem:

I'm trying to use the multi lvl css menu on page: http://www.deaconess.com/bodysollmantest.cfm : but as you hover over the menu item "PHYSICIANS" it appears behind the left side layers. It should flow over the tops of these layers.

I'm just here for a summer position so I don't fully understand how their templates work. If anyone notices an issues with the code or the layout of the page please let me know. I would be really grateful.

I'm also new to using tables as a page layout so I can't tell if it's an issue with the table or the div. I've tried setting the z-index but had no luck.

Thanks for looking!

azoomer
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
In the jqueryslidemenu1.css file you can find this paragraph and add a z-index like this:

.jqueryslidemenu ul li ul {
display:block;
left:0;
position:absolute;
visibility:hidden;
z-index:100;
I think that will get the menu on top.

rsollman
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I added that it did work when using Firefox but still doesn't appear right within IE.

Any known fixes?

azoomer
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
sometimes ie uses the old css. Did you try to refresh the cache ?

azoomer
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok what I did on my pc was to change $ to jQuery in this part:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
jQuery(document).ready(
function(){
jQuery('.fade').innerfade({
speed: 1000,
timeout: 6000,
type: 'random_start',
containerheight: '1.5em'
});
});
function MM_goToURL() { //v3.0

}
//-->
</script>
and that seems to get it working in IE as well..... maybe !

rsollman
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Added the changes but it's still not showing correctly in IE. Thanks though!

**I'm using the Firefox "IE Tab 2" to switch back and forth between the platforms. Just checked on my stand-alone IE though and it still didn't show

azoomer
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes i see what you mean now that you have made the changes and uploaded them. The reason the menu works fine locally on my pc seems to be that not all the files are loaded properly in IE. I can't really find the problem right know.
You are asking about other problems in the code and a good place to start would be the validator : http://validator.w3.org/ (http://validator.w3.org/). Testing the page now gives this: 103 Errors, 16 warning(s) , so there are definitely some issues to correct. First the doctype : xhtml does not fit with very well with they way the rest of the page is written. You could change to a doctype with html and that would give you fewer things to correct, but i don't know what would be the best thing to do considering your template. In any case I would suggest that you make your pages validate, even though it will take a bit of work. Sometimes making a page validate will solve other obscure problems. You are loading two different versions of jquery and that is, in my opinion, not the best solution. I see the reason you are doing it because your menus apparently need different versions of the library. For that reason i would consider switching one of the menus so that you wouldn't have to load jquery twice. I guess it is not crucial, but it would just be better for the performance. If everything fails and you cannot get the menu on top eventually you might just want to switch the two points : locations and physicians and widen the "home" tab a bit, that way avoiding the overlap

rsollman
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I had also noticed the validation issues when I first signed on with this project, and have mentioned them in the past, but now it seems they've caught up with us.

I'll start churning through the errors and see what turns up. The horizontal navigation was submitted by another person in the group so I'll have to see if we could change it to something modern.

Thanks for all the help and I'll post updates when I'm finished. :eek:

azoomer
06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
yes do that

rsollman
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Figured it out -- with my lack of knowledge over table layouts I never thought that the z-index wouldn't work because the menus are not in the same table item.

I still don't fully understand what he did to fix the issue, and I'm meeting with him later, but for the time being it's working.

Thanks for all the help!