PDA

View Full Version : AnyLink JS Drop Down Menu v2.2 & iPhone

seeoursound
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
1) Script Title: AnyLink JS Drop Down Menu v2.2

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/anylinkcss.htm

3) Describe problem: Everything works fine EXCEPT iPhones & iPad type devices. Using mouseover and these devices will not work.

Web Site = http://www.seeoursound.com/

If you mouseover the Manufactures or Products buttons the menu works fine on regular computers, but will not with the phones. I do not want to change to the [click] style unless this is my only option.

What can I do?

ddadmin
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't have an iPhone unfortunately, so it's hard to know what the issue might be. I'm hoping someone with one and with knowledge of scripting can chip in...

djr33
06-16-2010, 11:00 PM
This is a general problem on an iphone: there is no hover state. There is only single click. It's all in the design of the iphone: there is no cursor and it's a touch screen: if you touch, it clicks. Actually, you can also scroll by touching and "pulling" (sliding and releasing in another location) but it's not possible to use this to "hover".

You cannot access a menu that works on hover. I wish apple would change the design slightly to allow for this.
As said in the first post, the solution to this is to use click instead of (possibly in addition to) mouseover.
So just switch all events to click (though I haven't looked at the script or how hard it will be to do this).

Also, another way to deal with this is to make the "mouseover" part a link that will take the user to another page that has the links from the menu on it. I'm not suggesting it's necessarily the best option, but it's a fast way to at least make it work on iphones.

ddadmin
06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks for that info Daniel.

seeoursound
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I expected as much. Oh well, time to make lots of updates.

Bob

OneCogOnly
08-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi - first forum post.
I've been fussing with an iPhone (and other touch screen devices) compatible drop down menu for a day now only to be told by my client that it doesn't work.

Did switching to 'click' work? What are other options for a touch screen compatible drop down menu?

thx
Kori