PDA

View Full Version : Featured Content with wanted extra: resume gliding

kimpouss
05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Featured Content Glider
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/featuredcontentglider.htm

I don't have a problem with the script but I would like to know if anyone can help me get to get it to do the following.

I would like it to resume gliding after a link under it has been pressed. As it is now it glides just fine until the visitor clicks on a link pointing to featured content. Is it supposed to do this? And if so: what can I do/add to help it move along again. :)

Thanks for the help.

jscheuer1
05-23-2010, 05:28 AM
The glider stops after user interaction because (I'm assuming, I didn't write the script), if it didn't, the user might be taken away from what he/she was interested in before they had time to really take it in. The optional auto glide is just to provide attention getting action if desired. The glider may start in stopped mode.

Are you asking for a resume button, or a pause and a resume button, or just wanting to make it so that after the user stops the glider by clicking on one of its existing buttons, that it resumes on its own after a specified amount of time has passed?

kimpouss
05-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Thank you for the response.
I am not looking for a resume button (although it might be an extra some users could possibly enjoy) but I would like the glider to resume gliding on it's own after a visitor moves the pointer away from it.
And actually, it would be really nice if the gliding would stop when the pointer is over it, too. This way the visitor can read the content without it disappearing from sight before he finishes.

Thanks for pinpointing down some solutions!

jscheuer1
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
OK, I think I've got that. Use this version of the featuredcontentglider.js script (right click and 'save as'):

Add a configuration option in your featuredcontentglider.init (see highlighted line):

featuredcontentglider.init({
gliderid: "canadaprovinces", //ID of main glider container
contentclass: "glidecontent", //Shared CSS class name of each glider content
togglerid: "p-select", //ID of toggler container
remotecontent: "", //Get gliding contents from external file on server? "filename" or "" to disable
selected: 0, //Default selected content index (0=1st)
persiststate: false, //Remember last content shown within browser session (true/false)?
speed: 500, //Glide animation duration (in milliseconds)
direction: "downup", //set direction of glide: "updown", "downup", "leftright", or "rightleft"
autorotate: true, //Auto rotate contents (true/false)?
pause: true, //If auto rotate, should glider pause on mouse over of contents and controls (true/false)?
autorotateconfig: [3000, 0] //if auto rotate enabled, set [milliseconds_btw_rotations, cycles_before_stopping]
})

Notice also that the autorotateconfig's second item is 0. That's for continuous auto rotation.

kimpouss
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Got me a present! :)
Thank you very much, it works just fine. I am currently working on a website and nothing has been uploaded yet but I shall send you the link to the result when it's done. The glider works just fine now.

Thank you very much for your help. I didn't expect anything to come from it but this makes my day. Thank you, have a good day!

kimpouss
08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi, it took me a while but here it is, implemented in a new website. It's still being developed but the glider glides proudly and is stoppable due to your addition. Thank you very much!

kimpouss
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
I forgot the link... This is definitely not by brightest moment :) http://www.learningtrain.nl
Thanks again!

lolajoan
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
This version of the script is great - it's a very useful addition.
However, what I'd really like is a button that can pause and resume the autorotation. I tried this one: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28990 but it doesn't work right - when you click pause it goes back to the first one. Also the resume function is not clear.
I really just want to change the feature on this page so that instead of MouseOver to activate the function, there's a button that toggles from a pause button to a play button.
I have noooo idea how to do this. Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!