PDA

View Full Version : Image w/ description tooltip v2.0: works in FF, fails in IE

geology_ra
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
1) Script Title: Image w/ description tooltip v2.0

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/imagetooltip.htm

3) Describe problem: I am using this script a little differently than the way shown on the page. Instead of using a link, I have used an image, so that when you mouseover the image, the tooltip appears with the full-size image. This works great in FF, but fails miserably in IE. I have opened the script URL in IE and tested the demo and it works just fine. I took my website files to my parents' house and tested them there with their IE browser and it fails there too. What happens in IE is some of the images on the page show up, and some don't. When I mouseover the ones that do show up, the tooltip appears just fine.

I have spent hours looking for solutions online, I have checked the threads here and didn't see anything, I've double-checked my code about a dozen times to ensure there aren't any errors, and I have no idea what to do now.

The website I am working on is not live yet, my boss has asked me to create it for her and she really likes the script, so I am desperately trying to find a solution so that I can keep it. Please help!!! :eek: Thanks :)

ddadmin
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you sure this isn't simply that some of your image paths to the larger images are broken? A link to the problem page, even if a temporary page you can put up to demonstrate the problem, would help greatly.

geology_ra
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I am positive. It's not that IE displays the page with broken images. It doesn't display them at all, nothing, just text.

I have no way of uploading the page to my school's server, my boss handles all of that. Is there a way to post the code here?

ddadmin
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Does the tooltip appear at least, but just with the text portion, no images? If so that would seem to suggest the script is working, just that for some reason the images within each tooltip aren't showing up?

You can try posting the relevant code here, though a lot of times the only way to catch the real culprit is by testing out the actual page.

geology_ra
05-19-2010, 10:02 PM
No.

The element on the page that I use to trigger the tooltip is an image, not a link like in the demo. The user in FF sees shrunken down images on the page, surrounded by text. They move their mouse over the smaller image. The tooltip appears, with the full-size image, and a description at the bottom.

In IE all I see when I load the page is the text. The elements, or images, I have used, don't appear. At all. Nothing but text. So a complete stranger would have no idea that I intended for there to be shrunken down images on the page. All they would see are words. It's like IE not only disables the tooltip feature but also removes all of my images/elements from the page.