PDA

View Full Version : DD Tab Basics help

keithRichards
05-17-2010, 10:37 PM
1) Script Title: ddtabmenu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddtabmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: Implementation questions

Hi There,

I have downloaded the ddtabmenu files... [Thank you for making these available!] and read the instructions.

In effect I want to replace the existing vBulletin Navbar with the ddtabmenu.

My questions are probably VERY basic so apologies up front.

1. Do I just make the changes outlined in the article at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddtabmenu.htm to the existing vBulletin template in Admin cp/Style Manager/Navigation / Breadcrumb Templates/navbar? In effect overwriting the original vBulletin templates?

2. Or do I make the changes to the downloaded files, and then upload these to the appropriate directory on the website. Once this is done do I go to the Admin cp/Download Upload Styles/Import Style XML File and import the file?

3. If I do 2 then is it a matter of setting this as the new default template?

Thanks,

KR

djr33
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
This isn't so much a problem for the script as it is for vbulletin.

The forum software may have a lot of complications involved in this.

There are a few ways to attempt it:
1. Modify the actual forum's source code and destroy stuff in the process. Possible, but a bad idea because then you can't update.
2. Modify the forum's template file. Probably the best idea. You can still update around the template and templates are designed to be modified.
3. Use some default import option to add stuff. Possible and you can do that if you'd like, but I would have no idea where to start.

I'd suggest posting on vbulletin's support forums because this is a question about how to modify their code, not how to use this script (except as much as is required to add it there). You may find that you have to modify the script slightly as well, but hopefully not.

To start, I would suggest creating a separate page (NOT part of the forum) and installing the dd menu there, just to practice. Once you have that, it should make complete sense to you (the installations can be a little complex the first time, but after that it shouldn't be hard to do it again).
And once you know where to put it in the vbulletin template (or wherever) you'll be ready to do it and not run into any issues with the script.