PDA

View Full Version : Chained menu selects style edit etc?????

piscola
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Chained menu selects

url: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/chainedselects/chainedselects.html

Hi, Im really stuck on this and have been trying different things for some time now, please will someone help? I have set up the chain menu from the url above and its great but i need to change a couple of things for my new site and its proving difficult and stressful.
1.Instead of the 'input type="button"' I would like to use my own mouse over button but when i do this the button doesnt seem to work at all or very well?

2. I need the link to open in a iframe on the same page so as you can see below i have been playing around and inserting 'target="quotemenu"' (the name of my iframe) but i cant get it to work, any ideas?

3. I would like to be able to change the style of the dropdown boxes in the same way that you can with the main window scroll bar so it all fits in with my site?

I'll admitt im not great with all this coding but i normally get there through trail and error but i think im just digging a big hole in this case, i have tryed researching the authors site and still cant get anywhere. help would be more than welcome!! im sure someone knows how to do this stuff with ease?

<table align="center" width="669"><tr>
<td><select name="firstlevel" style="width:180px;"></select></td>
<td><select name="secondlevel" style="width:160px;"></select></td>
<td><select name="thirdlevel" style="width:160px;"></select></td>
<td><input type="image" id="img1" src="Graphics/tick.gif" target="quotewindow" onmouseover="FP_swapImg(1,0,/*id*/'img1',/*url*/'Graphics/mouse_over_tick.gif')" onmouseout="FP_swapImg(0,0,/*id*/'img1',/*url*/'Graphics/tick.gif')" onclick="goListGroup(document.listmenu0.firstlevel, document.listmenu0.secondlevel, document.listmenu0.thirdlevel)">
<input type="image" src="Graphics/cross.gif" onclick="resetListGroup('chainedmenu')">
</tr></table>

thanks very much for your time

Stu

Twey
10-12-2005, 05:35 PM
1.Instead of the 'input type="button"' I would like to use my own mouse over button but when i do this the button doesnt seem to work at all or very well?We can't help with this if you don't link us to your page. Something I would be very wary of is using FrontPage. It is famous for breaking scripts and invalidating code.
2. I need the link to open in a iframe on the same page so as you can see below i have been playing around and inserting 'target="quotemenu"' (the name of my iframe) but i cant get it to work, any ideas?You need to add the target attribute the the form itself, not the submission element.
3. I would like to be able to change the style of the dropdown boxes in the same way that you can with the main window scroll bar so it all fits in with my site?Unfortunately, form elements tend to be rendered by the underlying operating system or windowing toolkit library (GTK in the case of Firefox, Qt for Konqueror, MFC for Microsoft Internet Explorer). This means you cannot reliably change their style. The same goes for the toolbar. I myself am of the opinion that even if you can, the toolbar should not be altered. It is part of the user's environment, and should remain familiar and comfortable to the user. Apart from this, overriding the user's windowing settings is just plain rude.

piscola
10-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks for your help on this, In reguard to the site link, unfortunatly its not live yet so i cant show you what i see yet, is there not a standard bit of script i can change so as to allow my own button to replace the standard ones?

2... I thought that might be the case I have tried putting target="quote window" and var target="quote window" but I dont really know where to place it, I have tryed to put it in various places in the final chain near and next to the target url but nothing seems to work?? any ideas?

I do agree about the changing of the users controls etc but i think it's tasteful in this case and the site is made from blacks and greys and i would love to be able to tone down those three large drop down menus a little as i have been able to with the window scroller and i feel its important for the sites presentation as they ditract to much away from the graphics which should be the most promiment thing. on the origanal authors site (see link at top of chained menu selects url) there is a css form for editing the background colour of individual items within a menu but i want a unified colour change if posible?
thanks again for you time with all of this

reguards

Stu