PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Content, Featured Content Glider

jeanine
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
My website doesn't have a separate "head" field for the first part of the code to go into...only a "body" field. Therefore, I cannot insert the code that's intended for the "head" field into that area.

Could someone help me with html/script placement, so that it would still work?

Please reply to jeaninemn@gmail.com or by PM (private message)

Thanks!!

djr33
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
1. Your website MUST have a <head> section-- or it is not valid HTML. It will still function in browsers, but only because they guess about what should be there.
A minimal html page looks like this:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Page Title</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>Text</p>
</body>
</html>
There may also be other elements that are required in certain cases. The DOCTYPE at the top can be one of many types, but you need one for your page to be valid-- this tells the browser what version of html you are using and without it the browser must guess (often wrong).
The <head> section contains information ABOUT the page. This is where scripts, CSS styles and other SETUP information is kept, like the <title> tag.
The BODY section contains the content of the page (and some layout info).

2. Please don't ask for replies sent by email or PM-- this is a forum for discussions so that everyone can learn. It will help you as well, so that more than one person can discuss the answer, rather than having to tell someone else what I said, and another person what s/he said, etc. Then others who have similar problems can find this, read it, and learn.

jeanine
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
So on the featured content glider page, where it tells me to select all, do I simply place both of the codes from those boxes into the html space? what part of that information should be able to help me in placing the featured content glider on my page?

djr33
04-14-2010, 01:41 AM
The directions should explain all of this. If you want more help:
Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

The short answer is no, you will put the code that belongs in the <head> section there, the content code that belongs in the <body> section there, and possibly have to add other parts if the directions say you need it.

If you give us a link to the page that might help, but right now it sounds like you just need to copy the layout from the script. By the way, if you click "developer's view" you will get the code version of the page, and that will look a little more complex, BUT it will help because you can see an example of where everything needs to go.

Also, note that I have moved this to the "Dynamic Drives Script Help" category, since this question is specifically related to the scripts on this site, rather than HTML [in general].

jeanine
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Thank you.

Here's a link to the website
www.marshlandingcc.com

it's a member access only, so you'd have to login to see what kind of site it is. Here's a login you can use: id= golfstaff, password= mlcc86

I've added the script from the directors view section to a test page I've created. It shows all the content, images and page 1-5 viewers, but not in the functioning sequence.

I'll post more as I progress.

Thanks for reposting this elsewhere. I'm a beginner!