PDA

View Full Version : gAjax RSS Feeds Displayer - labels mixed in IE

mkdrums
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Hello friends

I am using this script and when using multiple feeds, the labels randomly display inverted.

This happens a lot in IE, some in Chrome and not at all in FF - so trying to use firebug in ff is useless.

1st question) I see others complaining about this in really old posts. Did this ever get fixed/addressed?

2) as a workaround am trying something like this (I only have 2 feeds)

socialfeed.addFeed("1", "feed1URL")
socialfeed.addFeed("5", "Fed2URL")

I have verified that at the end of the script that the labels 1 and 5 occasionally get inverted.

I am trying to identify the point at which an object holds these 2 numbers and check to see that the first value is 1. If the first value is 5, I will invert them.

My problem is I am lousy at debugging JS and can't even use firebug and don't know how to print object values to see what is going on.

If anyone can give some tips, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

ddadmin
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Yep this is a really odd problem, and while I did take a stab at the issue at the time, I wasn't able to locate the problem. If I have more time I'll take another shot soon. I believe it has something to do with "array" behaviors in IE.

mkdrums
04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
It happens in chrome also, just less often.

could you recommend another script that has multiple feeds?

or could you tell me how to access the objects properties in IE so I can hack the script?

Thanks

Matt

anduril-ca
04-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm having the same problem as well as another problem. I'm getting NaN for the date from one of the feeds and consequently the feeds aren't being sorted. I'd really like to keep that feed in the group. Could someone write a fix for this? Maybe if the value=NaN then it appears at the top or bottom of the list depending on the user's preference?

Incidentally, if someone is editing the code, it would be nice to have the option to weight each feed instead of having the articles distributed evenly, e.g. if I am using 4 feeds and am displaying 8 articles, it would be nice to decide if I want feed 1 to display 3 articles, feed 2 to display 3 articles, feed 3 to display 1 article, and feed 4 to display 1 article. Alternatively, it would be nice to have it just display the eight most recent articles regardless of which feed it comes from.

Ken.

mkdrums
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I have fixed the IE label bug and also added the feature for it to pull from multiple feeds and to only display the top x posts sorted by date - currently you get x number of posts from each category regardless of date.

I also added some date formatting functionality.

dm me if you would like to check it out.

mk

ddadmin
04-06-2010, 12:43 AM
mkdrums, please do pm me the modified script so I can check it out. It'd be great if you included what was changed.

anduril-ca
04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry... new here... How do I get in touch with you mkdrums? I can't find any option to send you a personal message. I would definitely be interested in your fixes!

batec
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I to have the same problem with Chrome and Safari. If there is a fix can we get access to it or have the script post updated.

many thanks to those who have big brains. - cb

batec
04-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey DD Admin. Any news of the status of this script. Any fix for the label issue as indicated above?

anduril-ca
05-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Any word yet on an update?

ddadmin
05-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Not yet, as I haven't heard back from mkdrums yet on his potential fix. I've just sent him a PM again...

Nicoco92
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm experiencing the same issue as described in this post (labels mixed in IE and Chrome). This script looked great, though !
Any chance someone had found a fix for this problem ?
I've tried to find what was wrong myself in the js file, but I didn't figure it out :(

Thanks !

ddadmin
06-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Ok, I've finally had some time to really look into the problem, which was a timing issue in IE that caused the incorrect label to sometimes be associated with the feeds. The problem should be fixed now. Only the .js file has been modified.

Nicoco92
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
It seems to work properly now !
Thanks a lot, this script is just great !!! :)