PDA

View Full Version : Tooltip behind image

austingal
10-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Script: Cool DHTML Tooltip
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/dhtmltooltip.htm

I am using HTML DB. The tooltip works great with one exception. I have placed the script behind a bar chart. When I move the mouse onto the chart, the popup is showing up behind the chart, well pieces of it when there is open space. For example, I will get a snipet of the text between the bars on the chart. I need to have the text display in front of the chart in it's entirety. If I move the mouse to the very edge of the chart it shows up below it which is great but I don't want to limit the users to only seeing the help text in certain positions.

Thanks!

Amy

ddadmin
10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
What's the URL to the problem page? Floating elements in DHTML can be obstructed by other objects on the page, though with images it shouldn't be a problem.

austingal
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
It is an internal application. The image is a SVG chart. There are four of them on the header of the page. The balloon help is obstructed on all four of them unless you point to the very bottom of each chart. Is there something in the code that I can alter that would say "show on top" for example instead of background?

Thanks!

ddadmin
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
That's probably the problem. SVG charts are similar to Java applets or flash, and take precedence over DHTML objects when the two overlap. There really isn't a simple solution to this, unfortunately. Manipulating the DHTML tooltip's z-index property does little in this case.

austingal
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, one of our web guys told me about the z-index. I tried changing it and it did nothing. Thank you though. Could I modify the code to have it only look for the tool tip when the mouse is on let's say the bottom 1/4 of the chart?

Amy