PDA

View Full Version : anything on the net is copyrighted right?

darco9x2
10-05-2005, 04:10 AM
is there a site i can see all teh regulations about this?

ddadmin
10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
When it comes to copyright on the web, it's best just to assume a page and its content is copyrighted unless indicated otherwise. Usually the webmaster will have a "copyright" phrase somewhere in the footer of the site, but legally this isn't required.

Postman
10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
When it comes to copyright on the web, it's best just to assume a page and its content is copyrighted unless indicated otherwise. Usually the webmaster will have a "copyright" phrase somewhere in the footer of the site, but legally this isn't required.
To add to the first question.
Is it enough to have only a copyright notice on the page or does it have to qualify in some sort of way?
I mean, I can't copyright whatever I want just because I say it so, or can I?

cr3ative
10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
If you make it, it's copyrighted to you instantly in most countries. You only forfeit rights by putting that hippy "Creative Commons" thing on your page.

Otherwise, it's yours.

-cr3

mwinter
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Subject: anything onthe net is copyrighted right?Anything? No, not quite. Most things are though.

is there a site i can see all teh regulations about this?Not really as there are several international agreements that cover different types of copyrightable material. You may also need to consider your own national situation (which may have its own conditions for works created by citizens). Stanford University (http://fairuse.stanford.edu/) came up pretty high in a Google search, and Google results are a good starting point, but try to choose universities and trade organisations as sources as they'll be more accurate. A copyright lawyer is also a good source. :p

Is it enough to have only a copyright notice on the page or does it have to qualify in some sort of way?For recently created works, as long as the work can be attributed to someone (it's not anonymous or under a pseudonym), then most forms of expression do not need notices to qualify for protection under international treaties. However, some countries require notices for works created in that country to be recognised under local laws, so a notice never hurts. Be aware that a notice usually needs to take a specific form, like: "Copyright © 2005, Michael Winter". The copyright symbol (©, in HTML) is often crucial; a capital 'C' in parentheses doesn't qualify.

I mean, I can't copyright whatever I want just because I say it so, or can I?As I said above, not everything can be copyrighted. However, it is copyrightable and you created it, it belongs to you and you have the right to control it.

You only forfeit rights by putting that hippy "Creative Commons" thing on your page.As I understand it, Creative Commons licenses are just another form of the 'copyleft' variety like the GNU, MIT, and BSD licenses (though they're specific to open source software).

You seem to be referring to 'public domain'. Here, an author explictly relinquishes all rights; they created it, but the public at large owns it. It tends to require a phrase like, "This work is dedicated to the public domain."

Mike

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Seek professional legal advice if you have specific concerns. I am not responsible for any consequences that might result from following my advice.

Twey
10-05-2005, 05:29 PM
that hippy "Creative Commons" thing
Cr3 has a rather conservative view of copyright. :p
Your data is automatically copyrighted unless you specifically waive it in some way - even a single statement will suffice. However (judging by other threads on this forum [that you could have searched for]), it's unlikely you'll win a case unless you can prove that the reuse of the data taken from your page negatively affects you or your page.

Our advice is no substitute for a good lawyer. Or a bad lawyer. Or even an absolutely rubbish lawyer.

/EDIT: Mike's got there first. He's probably more accurate than I am. Listen to him. :p

darco9x2
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
thanks, my friend made a song and it was posted on the net, it then got ripped off and others are using it. he wants them to take it down

ddadmin
10-06-2005, 09:34 AM
thanks, my friend made a song and it was posted on the net, it then got ripped off and others are using it. he wants them to take it down

As long as he can prove within reason that he is the original author of the song, then legally he is protected, and can excercise legal action if he chooses to. Usually it won't come to that though, and a few stern emails to other the pirate or his ISP will suffice.

FordCorsair
10-12-2005, 11:02 AM
a guy on another forum was saying that the footage of an event that he recorded on his own video camera belonged to the Promoter of the Event. He got warned by the promoter to remove the video clips from his web site. Looks like a mine field out there.