View Full Version : Dynamic Drive's Sticky Tooltip--Is it Validatable

DavidFoxfire
03-01-2010, 08:35 AM
1) Script Title:

Dynamic Drive's Sticky Tooltip

2) Script URL (on DD):

www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/stickytooltip.htm

3) Describe problem:

I'd like to use this script in my web site, but I'm a stickler on getting my pages validatable under XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Is there anyone who has problems getting pages with these tooltips to validate, and if so, what did you to do fix them. Thank you in advance.

jscheuer1
03-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Not without a rewrite that eliminates its dependence upon non-standard attributes like:

data-tooltip="sticky1"

However, while these will never pass any validation, they are very unlikely to cause any real problems. Still, I'm a bit disappointed in dd for authoring scripts (this is not the only recent one) that depend upon something like this, especially when, in jQuery (the library this script is based upon), standard attributes may be turned to just about any purpose.

It could be:

class="sticky1"

and the selector in the script code could be:

$('* [class*=sticky]')

But that would necessitate a filter in the event to determine the number, which there probably already is, but the coding for it would be a bit more complex and could collide with other class names that include 'sticky' in them. So the way this script does it is a bit more idiot proof, albeit invalid.