PDA

View Full Version : AnyLink Drop Down Menu - Query

ayworld
10-02-2005, 04:05 PM
AnyLink Drop Down Menu
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

I have modified this script for a site I have been putting together and really like it but I have one little query...

At the moment the java script sits inside the <head> section of the HTML page but I want to put it in its own file in my web page directory because I want a lot of pages to use it. I obviously don't want to have to change links on every page I create.

Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Many thanks.

jscheuer1
10-03-2005, 03:40 AM
My stock info on that:

Substitute the name of your external .js file for some.js in the below:

<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>Common problems arise when:

1 ) The script file is not in the directory specified. In this example it must be in the same directory as the page(s) that use it.

2 ) Opening, closing and/or 'hiding' tags are left in the external file. This means that you must strip:
<script>
<!--and
//-->
</script>and their many variations from the beginning and end of the external file.

3 ) The external call (<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>) is not inserted into the page at the correct spot. The external call must be inserted at the same place on the page where the script was/would have been.

4 ) Paths to other files used by the script are no longer valid due to its location. This is only a problem if the external script is kept in a different directory than the page it was working on when it was an internal script. To correct this, use absolute paths inside the script.

5 ) Inappropriately combining two or more scripts into one external file. Usually external scripts can be combined if one knows enough about scripting to do so properly. Even then it is possible to overlook something.

A rule of thumb when testing is, if it won't work on the page, it won't work as an external file either.

ayworld
10-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks John, that has worked for me now. Appreciate the help!

Angus