PDA

View Full Version : Resolved How to show a graphic when Java is disabled

ruinstone
02-19-2010, 11:52 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
I've been using the Ultimate Slideshow script to have rotating graphics as a decorative page element on my site's front page, which also serves the purpose of preloading these common elements used throughout the site if people enter through the index page. 99.9% of my visitors have Javascript enabled, but I've noticed that a couple do not, and I'd like to have just one frame of the slideshow, the first one, display in that space instead of having empty space there the way it shows up now when it's turned off.

I don't know the first thing about Java, except what I've been able to glean by trying out various premade scripts from Dynamic Drive (mostly) and other sites, so this is probably something really easy and stupid to do. Thanks for your patience with the Clueless N00B~

traq
02-20-2010, 02:07 AM
first thing to learn: java is not javascript. they are completely different.

If you want something for users to see when they have javascript turned off, wrap it in <noscript> tags:

<noscript>You have javascript turned off!</noscript>Any html can go between <noscript> tags, so your image will work fine too.

ruinstone
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM
That worked! Thank you for the enlightening information on how to do it and what it is/isn't.

ETA: and thanks again to the Dynamic Drive team for posting all these wonderful free scripts for us non-programmers.

traq
02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
no problem. If that does it for you, go to your first post, click [edit], click [go advanced], and change your thread prefix to Resolved. Glad I could help.