PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.1)

DaveG
02-14-2010, 01:05 AM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.1)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Parts of next image showing through parts of existing image.

Hi Guys,
I have managed to get this script up and running on my site except im having a strange problem in IE. Whenever the image seems to have pure black, parts of the next image are showing through, only happens in IE.

Here is my site where it is happening:

http://www.essentialphotography.co.uk/galleryweddings.html

Scroll to the second page in the gallery and you should see it on the black suit jacket.

Any help on this will be much appreciated, if you need anymore details please let me know.
Cheers
Dave

jscheuer1
02-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Change the background color back to black, should fix it. If that causes any other problem, let me know, it can probably be dealt with.

DaveG
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi jscheuer1,
Thats what i suspected to be the problem but i changed it back and it was still happening. After testing some more i realised its not white thats showing through but the next image.

If you toggle through to page 3 and then back to page 2 you will see that the bits that are showing are red.

I tried downloading the fresh JS file again and it didn't seem to help.

The demo on DD shows fine in IE so im not sure if its possibly my jpegs that are the problem. Im using save for web from photoshop with 100% so it shouldnt be any sort of compression thats causing it.

Anything else i could try?

jscheuer1
02-15-2010, 04:52 AM
OK, first of all this is a known bug in IE and I probably should have mentioned that before. But it's a pain to explain and to deal with, and often changing the background to black will take care of the problem. So that's what I suggested. You didn't really do that, or if you did, you changed it back to white. But no matter. I made a local mock up of your page, and using a black background will not help here, and would look bad anyway with your theme, even if it did fix the problem.

So we must deal with explaining the IE bug. In short, with .jpg images that are faded in IE, if there are pixels that are 100% black, these will appear as transparent. And with how to fix it:

You need to adjust the black level in the image. First save a backup copy in case something goes wrong. Then in an editor like Photoshop, Paint Shop, or The Gimp, load up the image and select (something like):

Colors > Adjust > Levels

You will have a dialogue box with sliders. Choose the RGB channel and adjust the output slider up a little. This will make the image slightly lighter, and may take a bit of trial and error to get it right, but you wont have to lighten it by much, +11 is about the most that should ever be required. What this does is replace totally black pixels with ones that are nearly totally black, and will eliminate these IE bug artifacts.

Hopefully that 'gets it' for you. If not, let me know what image editor you are using.

DaveG
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I thought thats what id have to do, just tried it with page 2 and its working, thanks.