PDA

View Full Version : a huge newB question regarding text/strings in JS

BLcrazzy
10-27-2004, 10:45 AM
hi to all,
please help in my problem regarding text/strings in JavaScript.
my problem is that i want to write a menu using Hebrew letters (i'm from Israel) but while i'm saving the .js file it tells me that some of the charecters that i'm using are not suittable for the document encoding and that i should try to change the charecters coding to UTF-8 or something else that will work.
i encoutered the problem before as i tryed to do it before in HTML page and i solved it by changing the charset in the <meta> to UTF-8 (charset=UTF-8). is there a semillar solution to this problem in .js files?
i'll be gratefull for any reply and help that you can provide me.
thanks in advance BLcrazzy.

P.S.
please forgive me for any kind of wrong spelling.
thanks again. :)

simonf
10-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi.. Try embedding the font into the web page, Microsoft have free downloadable tool to do this....
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/weft01.htm

rgds,Simon

BLcrazzy
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
is there a simplier way to make my .js file to work with difrrent type of charecters encoding ?

cr3ative
10-27-2004, 05:20 PM
I don't know the first thing about this issue, but an easy workaround would be to make small .gif files or .png with your text in. Optimize them for a small filesize.

Someone'll eventually view this thread and just know how to deal with it, unfortunately I don't :(

cr3ative

BLcrazzy
10-28-2004, 07:07 AM
thanks, that work around worked good for me, but still the problem remains.
i realy want to believe that there a code's line that deal with that kind of problem cause i'm sure its happens in others type of non-english charecters.

BLcrazzy
10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
hello again,
i found a solution to my problem in the most unexpected way.

as i try to continue writing the code in a diffrent computer (in my university) i was forced to use notepad (at my home i worked in dreamweaver MX 2004) and as i was writing others line's code i tried to write again in hebrew. this time i was able to get those charecters visiable in my broweser.

i feel affended that i didnt thought about it before, which makes me want to uninstall that !@$#@$% program.

thanks to you all for replying and trying to help. :)

SargeTron
10-30-2004, 12:03 PM
which makes me want to uninstall that !@$#@$% program.

^^
ROFL

[insert post here so it isnt spam]