PDA

View Full Version : Content Slider - no active links (IE 8) when pulling database content



tiny
01-17-2010, 03:23 AM
1) Script Title: Featured Content Slider 2.4

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/featuredcontentslider.htm

3) Describe problem: I've implemented the featured content slider on a site and it works great in these browsers (tested IE, FF, on Mac and PC). Then I replaced the hardcoded content so that I could pull content from my database via the following script and template (cgi-bin/newsscript/news_sliderwideB.pl,and cgi-bin/newsscript/slider_ltB.html). All the content appears correctly, however, in IE 8, the hyperlinks for that content are no longer clickable (see: http://www.sbscuttlebutt.com/slider/demo2.html). The same links are active in Firefox, so I'm guessing this is an IE issue. I'm hoping this will be a matter of CSS adjustment, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Tiny

ddadmin
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Hmm most likely there are unclosed tags in your content markup, causing the non clickable links issue in IE. It's hard to tell exactly which tag(s) are unclosed just looking at your source. Try editing down your content markup to just the bare minimum, so each content consists of just some text then the link. See if the problem still persists. Also, do you really need a:


<span class="contmain">

tag surrounding each content?

tiny
01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Hmm most likely there are unclosed tags in your content markup, causing the non clickable links issue in IE. It's hard to tell exactly which tag(s) are unclosed just looking at your source. Try editing down your content markup to just the bare minimum, so each content consists of just some text then the link. See if the problem still persists. Also, do you really need a:


<span class="contmain">

tag surrounding each content?

Thanks for the quick reply. I will get things down to the bare bones and let you know if I find a resolution. I was also thinking it might be a z-index issue, since the link is clearly there, but mouseover fails. I'll look into that, too.

tiny
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Interesting. I removed the <span class="contmain"> from the template which displays the database content, and the links are now working on the demo page: http://www.sbscuttlebutt.com/slider/demo2.html. However, that same code is NOT working on the home page (http://www.sbscuttlebutt.com - toward the bottom of the page).

Weird. I even temporarily commented out the "contmain" in the overall style sheet and that didn't resolve anything. I'll keep at it and see if I can reverse engineer things on the home page. Thanks again for the suggestion.

tiny
01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Turns out I updated the wrong script on the home page. My error! Your instincts were correct about the deviant style tag in the template. Thanks so much for taking a look and making the suggestion. The content slider is now fully functional!

Tiny