PDA

View Full Version : Opera 8.50

mwinter
09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
After less than a week, over 1.5 million copies of Opera Software's browser have been downloaded, with two thirds of that in just the first two days! Why the rush? Opera is now completely free.

No more banner ads. No more licensing fees. No reason why any self-respecting developer shouldn't have it.

Mike

Official press release (http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2005/09/20/)

jscheuer1
09-26-2005, 05:48 AM
After less than a week, over 1.5 million copies of Opera Software's browser have been downloaded, with two thirds of that in just the first two days! Why the rush? Opera is now completely free.

No more banner ads. No more licensing fees. No reason why any self-respecting developer shouldn't have it.

Mike

Official press release (http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2005/09/20/)I had just recently gotten on board with OP8.2 and was disappointed about the ads. Then I received an automatic notice of an update. I was busy so I ignored it. Later, I decided to upgrade using the check for updates option, what the heck? Imagine my pleasure and surprise when I discovered the annoying ads were, gone! This truly is an excellent browser, even with the ads but, now - I second Mike's sage advice. Grab it!

Twey
09-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Yes, I noticed this. Grabbed it the day it came out. What bugs me is that they had a massive key-giving spree just before they freed it. "Get your keys now, before it's too late! Free this week only!"
Pfft.

ddadmin
09-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Perhaps one reason they decided to shed the banners was that it wasn't creating much revenue anyway. I don't know, but the Opera ad is very easy to ignore once you get used to the browser interface.

cr3ative
09-27-2005, 07:35 AM
It's a shame they're not doing a free version for mobile devices.

Opera is ace on my Nokia 6600, but it's time limited.

That would be a nice addition to the group.

mwinter
09-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't know, but the Opera ad is very easy to ignore once you get used to the browser interface.With my layout, both Firefox and Opera have the same viewport area, so no, it was never a big deal.

Opera is ace on my Nokia 6600, but it's time limited.Opera says that the Nokia 6600 should already have an Opera version, and that upgrades to Opera 8 are free. Evidentially not...

Mike

2.4 million and counting... :D