PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Runtime Error In IE

littleduk
11-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys,

Ive been using a script I found in here and was working well when I used it a few times on a page....

Ive now updated my IE to 8 and now i get the following error "Unknown Runtime Error"

It seems to run on Firefox but just errors on IE

It errors out on the js file I downloaded on line 102

document.getElementById(divId).innerHTML=page_request.responseText

Ive searched the net for an answer and just cant see whats up.
The script I used is on this page http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/overlapcontent.htm

If anyone can advise me on what to do id be very greatfull.

Kind Regards
Ld

jscheuer1
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, the AJAX fetched content works on the demo page for this script in IE 8, so there is probably something wrong with your implementation, though it could be settings for your OS or browser. Look at the demo page, click on the link (Additional Resources) for Demo #2. If it works, than it's not your browser or OS. IE 8 may need to run on a live page. Since IE 7, true local testing of AJAX has been impossible due to security restrictions. An AJAX app can be made to fall back to the IE 6 method in IE 7 and later so that local testing can appear to work, but this is not true testing of what would happen on a live page. However, this script makes no attempt to fall back, so there will always be some sort of problem for local AJAX testing when run under IE 7+. If that's the issue, upload your page to your host, it should work fine there.

If you want more help:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

littleduk
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Arghhh...

I found the problem thanks John..

I was sure id implimented it ok as I had 5 other instances on the page that worked so the code I used was the same...

But I had the div before the closing anchor tag on this one and that was throwing it!!!

Im so ashamed lol Ive been straring at it all night and never noticed it!!

I appreciate your responce.

The error meaage IE gives is very vague isint it, Ive never had a runtime error with JS before.

Thanks again

jscheuer1
11-23-2009, 03:50 PM
FYI - That error often means a problem in markup order. IE is touchier about this than other browsers - usually, though others can also have their quirks in this regard. But in IE it can also mean that you tried something 'illegal' (hence the bit about local AJAX testing).