View Full Version : Image Thumbnail Viewer and Opera 10

TechSmurfy
11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
1) Script Title:
Image Thumbnail Viewer

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm

3) Describe problem:
I've been using the script on a website for a few years now, no problem ever. The moment I upgraded to Opera 10, the script does not work, it gets stuck on 'Loading...'. I've confirmed this with other Opera 10 users, while with other browsers there is no problem. The funny thing is that the demo script on dd does work.
Here's an example, click on the images (with Opera 10):
http://www.themoviescult.gr/modules.php?name=Profiles&id=332#photos

Maybe it has only to do with my website, but I thought I'd give it a shot here, just in case some experienced opera user knows exactly what has been changed in v10 so that some scripts do not work...

jscheuer1
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Works fine here in Opera 10.01

TechSmurfy
11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Here's what I did; I enabled all Javascript options in Opera preferences, then it worked here too. I then reset the javascript options, and it still works - while it hadn't before. Another website editor experienced the exact same problem and solved it with the exact same 'solution' of enabling and resetting the javascript options. Now I'm worried about informing all the Opera 10 users to follow this procedure, but you say it's working.
So maybe it had to do with our java cache or something?

I just want to make sure no script optimization needs to be done for the new browsers - and in that case it's a browser/java issue so it shouldn't be addressed in the dd forums.

jscheuer1
11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
The only thing I can think of is to disable those options one at a time until the problem recurs and then re-enable all of the others until you can isolate the one (or more options) at fault. Once I know those, I may be able to devise a test that will at least allow you to alert only those Opera users that have that/those options disabled.

But Opera users are fairly used to Opera's often quirky way with javascript, so many will figure this out for themselves, or just open the page in another browser, or not worry about that one feature appearing to be missing. Perhaps it was fixed in Opera 10.01 - I know I haven't played with my javascript options since the upgrade, though it may have been something I fixed a long time ago that just got carried forward with the upgrades.