PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the cross browse marquee 2

cherylhandy
10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
1) Script Title: cross browse marquee 2

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2_dev.htm

3) Describe problem: I am trying to understand this all as I am a real beginner currently I am stuck trying to figure out how to make the background clear or translucent (see through). I am also trying to understand the padding as in what and where it is or where it would be. Also when using this code do I copy and paste everything? Lastly towards the bottom of the code where I would put the content I want to scroll I notice the following:
"[<!--YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE-->

<h4>Your scroller contents</h4>

<!--YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE-->]"

and now I am very confused as to if I am suppose to break the information up or why there is 2 places for your scroller content? Need all the help I can get with this as I said I am so brand new to this. As of now I understand this much of the code with exception to the padding and making the background clear or translucent:

[<html>

<head>
<style type="text/css">

#marqueecontainer{
position: relative;
width: 200px; /*marquee width */
height: 200px; /*marquee height */
background-color: white;
overflow: hidden;
border: 3px solid orange;
padding: 2px;
padding-left: 4px;
}

</style>

<script type="text/javascript">]

but I am completely lost on the rest of it. :confused:

jscheuer1
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
This part on the page you linked to:

<!--YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE-->

<!--YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE-->

should really be:

<!-- BEGIN YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE -->

<!-- END YOUR SCROLL CONTENT HERE -->

Then it would be clearer what to do for that part.

To get a transparent background:

#marqueecontainer{
position: relative;
width: 200px; /*marquee width */
height: 200px; /*marquee height */
background-color: transparent;
overflow: hidden;
border: 3px solid orange;
padding: 2px;
padding-left: 4px;
}

Padding is extra space added to an element. If it has a border, this extra space is added within that border. The color of the padding is the color of the element's background or the element's background image, if any. Other than that, padding is a lot like margin, which is basically extra space added to an element outside of its border, a margin's color is the background color of the element's parent element, etc.

See Also:

http://www.eskimo.com/~bloo/indexdot/css/properties/padding/padding.htm

cherylhandy
10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much John, and I hate to be a pain I understood everything with exception to:

the only thing I don't understand about it is: Do I put for example this whole thing is for Rules and Regulations which is what the title will be so should I put the title where the scroll content begins? The middle line has me baffled as I am not sure what part of the content I should put there, and the end content I am going to assume is where the last line of my content will go? If that is the case and I am assuming correctly then I do get it, but if not could you please clarify it for me and please forgive my ignorance.

-Cheryl

jscheuer1
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
This:

and this:

are just comments.

Replace all of this:

with the actual content for your scroller.

cherylhandy
10-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Got it now, and again thank you very much for your time and patience its appreciated!!!