PDA

View Full Version : Text and image Crawler (add something on top)

earthsolar
10-12-2009, 09:23 AM
1) Script Title: Text and image Crawler

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/crawler/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I use the image crawler only. How to add something on top of the marquee? I would like to add some text on the left hand side of the marquee. Also I had a php function (time), the html for the time is below and would like add to the left on top of the marquee.
{L_TOTAL_TIME_LOGGED_IN}: {TOTAL_TIME_LOGGED_IN}

Simply say the marquee as a background. On top-left of it text is the first row and time is the second row.

Thank you :)

jscheuer1
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure I understand. Do you want this text to be moving, or superimposed over the marquee, or just near the top of the marquee?

earthsolar
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure I understand. Do you want this text to be moving, or superimposed over the marquee, or just near the top of the marquee?

The text and others are fixed in position, not moving. Yes, just impose over the marquee. Something similar to the attachment :)

Thank you:)

jscheuer1
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
That's just a layout issue then. What I would do is wrap the crawler and this text feature in a division with position relative. Have the text feature in its own division within that, and position it absolute with a high z-index, use it's top and left properties to get it to where you want it.

earthsolar
10-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Thank you for your reply and instruction.

I tried it in my localhost and test is ok although the text feature is not yet set to right.

However, when I upload the code to my live board, the marquee only show partial. Whatever I increase the width or change it to 'auto', only partial marquee is shown. Any idea what would cause this to happen.:confused:

jscheuer1
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

earthsolar
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Sir,

Here is my site , and a test account. Please switch language to 'English' and style to 'X-static'.

http://forum.mycichlidfish.hk/
login : testtest
pass : a165b8

Only Firefox can show partial marquee, IE8 and Google don't show anything.:(

Thank you.

jscheuer1
10-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I see two things, first - in your settings for the crawler:

<script type="text/javascript">

marqueeInit({
uniqueid: 'mycrawler',
style: {
'padding' : '0px',
'width': 'auto',
'height': '150px'

},
inc: 5, //speed - pixel increment for each iteration of this marquee's movement
mouse: 'cursor driven', //mouseover behavior ('pause' 'cursor driven' or false)
moveatleast: 2,
neutral: 150,
savedirection: true
});

</script>

The highlighted should probably be '100%'. But this isn't as important as the next issue, and may only matter in some browsers, perhaps no browsers.

Next (this one's very important for all browsers), the crawler cannot crawl very far (be very wide) unless it has enough images to fill itself out. I see you have 6 images set for it in the source code, but only 2 of these (2.jpg and 3.jpg) appear to actually be on the server. There could be any number of reasons for this. You may have forgotten to upload them, uploaded them to the wrong place, they could be corrupted, or their filenames or paths may be a mismatch as to upper and lower case or spelling. Upper and lower case matter on the host, not so on the local computer.

With just these two images to work with, the crawler cannot be any wider than it is in Firefox. With a setting of 'auto' for the width, it is possible that some other browsers just allow that to be the same as 0, but in Oprea at least, it looks as though the width is fine, but that the marquee has only partially initialized. This is probably due to the missing images. In many browsers, if any of the images are missing the entire marquee will fail to initialize fully.

earthsolar
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Sir, thank you very much for your time in staying my site and checking.

You are right ! The upper case file name cause the trouble . After I change those upper case files to lower case. Everthing works charm. Firefox, IE8 , Google , they are working. In the mean time, I still keep the width ' auto' .

I must appreciate to the effort you spend and helping me.

Once again, thank you whole hearted:)