PDA

View Full Version : Fade background like Lightbox if a Browser is I.E. 6 or 5

FrickenTrevor
10-12-2009, 03:44 AM
How can I make it so if a person is using I.E. 6 or 5, the background will fade like Lightbox and a message in a "div" box will show?
Note there is no page redirection of any kind and the div box cannot be closed.

Example:

You are using I.E. 6 (or 5) and go to my site (still being made).
Upon arriving to my site, the background will fade a little and a div box will appear centered in the page saying "Please upgrade to I.E. 7 or 8."
*Remember this message (div box) cannot be closed

I need this for my site. I cannot show you a link because it is still being made. This is not a school project of any kind.

Thank You.

jscheuer1
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
You may use:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/dhtmlwindow/dhtmlmodal.htm

To make it specific to IE 6 and less, just put it's tags inside of an IE conditional comment such as:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
script tags containing activating code can go here.
<![endif]-->

It's close button may be disabled with this style:

.drag-controls img {
display: none;
}

Troy III
10-12-2009, 11:25 AM
How can I make it so if a person is using I.E. 6 or 5, the background will fade like Lightbox and a message in a "div" box will show?
Note there is no page redirection of any kind and the div box cannot be closed.

Example:

You are using I.E. 6 (or 5) and go to my site (still being made).
Upon arriving to my site, the background will fade a little and a div box will appear centered in the page saying "Please upgrade to I.E. 7 or 8."
*Remember this message (div box) cannot be closed

I need this for my site. I cannot show you a link because it is still being made. This is not a school project of any kind.

Thank You.

Yes, and who are your to tell you eventual visitors what browser should they use?

There are people working on win2K OS which are not able to install a higher version browser than 6 in their platforms, not to mention that there are people who hate multitabs and love their fast lightwieght IE6.

Why don't you learn some more coding instead of telling people they should use the only browsers you are capable to code for instead?!

By the way, IE4.01 users have been waiting 12 years now for other browsers to catch up and to be able to achieve this fade effect. Its IE4 who first invented and introduced this browser ability to fade page elements way back in 1997, and coders who liked this effect never told visitors "please drop that piece of junk and open your IE browser so you can see my beautiful transparent elements, and some miraculous fade-in and out effects".

Also, going from IE6 to IE7 or 8 is not an "upgrade". "Upgrading" means to update from IE6 to IE6.x, and going to higher version numbers is considered a "switch".

FrickenTrevor
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks, I will look into it!
Btw, how do you make it so people cant drag the box around?

jscheuer1
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Best bet would be in the dhtmlwindow.js file required by this, find the:

setupdrag:function(e){return;
var d=dhtmlwindow //reference dhtml window object
var t=this._parent //reference dhtml window div
d.etarget=this //remember div mouse is currently held down on ("handle" or "resize" div)
var e=window.event || e
d.initmousex=e.clientX //store x position of mouse onmousedown
d.initmousey= . . .

add the highlighted.