PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.0)

jscheuer1
10-03-2009, 06:58 AM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.0)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: This is some really minor stuff.

Great Script By the way DD!

OK, back to the minor stuff. In FF error console, there are 'problems' with css width and height specifications lacking units for the toggler buttons when used. This is only because this was omitted from the script. In most cases the images for the buttons are the size that they are, so this doesn't affect presentation or layout, but in cases where these may differ, there will be problems with presentation and/or layout. In any case - there will be an error in the console (declaration dropped) even when the page looks and acts fine, but also when it doesn't - and since these dimensions are added as part of strings for creating these elements, the error will be hard to track down when it does cause a problem (the console cannot point to any line number for it).

Also there are oddities in accommodating legacy IE browsers for the 'hand' cursor style. It is done two different ways. Which is correct?

In any case, since all IE browsers will recognize 'hand' as equivalent to 'pointer', why not just make the prototypical value for that sort of cursor based upon browser - thus avoiding any chicken or the egg issues over:

cursor:hand;cursor:pointer;

vs:

cursor:pointer;cursor:hand;

Which are the two ways you have it in the script. This will likely never cause any real issue - just an error that, since it is once again a part of a generated string, will have no line number - potentially confusing folks trying to debug any real issues they may have with the code.

I've made these two adjustments (and only these two adjustments) in the code:

azoomer
07-09-2010, 01:10 AM
I have been reading this post over and over but just can't figure out how to get rid of the width and height "declaration dropped" error in the firefox console. I am using Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4). Has anybody found out how to get rid of that error in v2.4 ? I know it works perfectly fine but the error makes debugging confusing and the red light is giving me panic attacs ( joking). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

jscheuer1
07-09-2010, 04:35 AM
I believe that issue (as well as the cursor issue from before) for v2.4 is addressed by this update that I worked out shortly after 2.4 was released:

I think it's line 56 in the official version not specifying 'px' for the width and height of the $loadingimg var. And is a bit of a red herring in that the loading image rarely if ever appears due to the way the rest of the script is constructed.

I know what you mean about being annoyed by those errors in the Firefox console. If it's any consolation, they don't appear to adversely affect the script's performance.

azoomer
07-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks a million. That's fantastic, everything is green again. I am trying to make a customized slideshow and it is going to take a while to finish, so it means a lot to be able to get a green light before proceeding with every step of the code. I am so happy for your help. Great. :)