PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with Fade-In Slideshow v1.5



dou9las
09-15-2009, 02:23 AM
I am working on a project for a client, and have spent way more time than I should have trying to figure this out. Your help with this would be truly appreciated, since I am now slipping on my deadlines and need to make up ground.

1) Script Title:
Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow v1.5

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm (Now the version is at 2.0, and I tried to see if there was archived page for v1.5, but didn't find it...)

3) Describe problem:
The goal with this client is to migrate their existing site, which is run by a proprietary CMS, off of that platform, and essentially re-build it (no big changes to design) as a primarily HTML/CSS site, but keeping the existing javascript/jquerie scripts such as the Dynamic Drive script.

I have essentially rebuilt the home page in this manner, with all support directories for images, scripts, and CSS in the same relative paths as the original live site. That live site is here, and the Dynamic Drive UFS script is working perfectly here as you will see at the top of the home page:

http://recordsmanagementcenter.com/

However, on the version I have rebuilt on the test server, while most of the styling, menus, etc are working fine, the images being rotated by the UFS script are not visible:

http://records-storage.biz/RMCAugusta/index.html

Confusing me even more, when I look at the html with FireBug on the rebuild version, it shows me that the script is working and doing its thing live in real time, yet nothing is visible. (The code actually refreshes with each image rotation in firebug, just like in the original, yet nothign is visible...)

One other note: I discovered when I change the href url in the base tag to the original site url, on my rebuilt version, all works fine with this script - however, that also screws up the CSS styling, which I had to revise from the original to accommodate my new navigation structure.

I have tried using "/" in the base tag url, or else completely removing it, and neither works. I don't even know why this would be an issue, because all support files in my rebuilt page are being referenced out of folders and files that are identical in path to the original site version, relative to the root.

I also tried playing with z-index values, thinking that somehow a white background was loading overtop of the div with the slideshow - Either this wasn't the issue, or I just did something wrong, because this had no effect.

Again, your help would be appreciated.

ddadmin
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Just to rule out image paths being the problem, what happens if you change the paths to the images inside the script so they are absolute, for example:


var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/01.jpg", "", ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/02.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[2]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/03.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[3]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/04.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[4]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/05.jpg", "", ""]

dou9las
09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Just to rule out image paths being the problem, what happens if you change the paths to the images inside the script so they are absolute, for example:


var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/01.jpg", "", ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/02.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[2]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/03.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[3]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/04.jpg", "", ""]
fadeimages[4]=["http://yoursite.com/images/rotate/05.jpg", "", ""]

It Worked :D I feel really pretty stupid :o partly because I almost did that days ago, and just thought "no, relative paths should be fine, besides it couldn't be that simple..."

Thanks very much for the quick response, and for nailing this on the head for me on the first try.

BTW - Any thoughts on why the relative paths wouldn't work? I actually tried putting in the test server domain in the base tag i.e. <base href="http://records-storage.biz/RMCAugusta"> with and without a trailing forward slash (since the script had worked fine with the original domain url in base tag) - yet that didn't work.

ddadmin
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Hmm the only thing in your original syntax that caught my eye was the "/" prefixing each image path. Typically that's not necessary, and in some cases, can confuse the browser.

dou9las
09-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmm the only thing in your original syntax that caught my eye was the "/" prefixing each image path. Typically that's not necessary, and in some cases, can confuse the browser.

I've got my version of the site working, although I am not 100% sure I understand the path nuances.

Again, thanks for your input and for helping me solve this problem. Cheers.
-Doug