PDA

View Full Version : Hide link path in message bar.

Naild
09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've had problems with someone hotlinking to my external files in the past, and thereby exausting my download limit. I want to offer a few downloads (.exe files) on my web site, but don't want the link path to be viewable to anyone. Does anyone know where I can find such a script?

In other words, I don't want anyone to be able to view where I'm storing the files. So if they look in the staus bar they won't be able to see where the download file is being hosted. I've already used a script to eliminate any kind of message in the status bar, but the link still appears on click. I just want the download dialogue box to appear after click without any file path being shown.

I hope you guys know what I'm talking about. LOL

Thank You.

darco9x2
09-08-2005, 12:37 AM
just make the link a pop up and then in like 5 seconds have it load the file

Naild
09-08-2005, 01:44 AM
just make the link a pop up and then in like 5 seconds have it load the file

Thank you.

How would I go about doing that? I'm a little challenged in that area. LOL

Naild
09-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I just tried this script:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/popit.htm

and got the same results. You can still see the file path in the status bar.

darco9x2
09-08-2005, 04:11 AM
k, you need to have it open up in a new window. and make it not show anything, the toolbar, the explorer bar, the address bar anything. then have it redirect to your file.

Naild
09-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Gotchya!

Thank you very much for your time and help. ;)

mwinter
09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I've had problems with someone hotlinking to my external files in the past, and thereby exausting my download limit.Probably the best solution to this is to exclude clients that send a Referer (sic) HTTP header that doesn't point to your site. This won't stop users that have configured their client not to send such a header (rare) or users that know how to use tools where the Referer header can be faked (rare), but it will stop the vast majority of users.

With an Apache server, and others that support its directives (Zeus, for example), you can use SetEnvIf and the Deny directives to prohibit access:

<Directory /path/to/files>
SetEnvIf Referer www\.example\.com internal_referrer
SetEnvIf Referer ^$ internal_referrer

<Files *.exe>
Deny from all
Allow from env=internal_referrer
</Files>
</Directory>

I want to offer a few downloads (.exe files) on my web site, but don't want the link path to be viewable to anyone. Does anyone know where I can find such a script?That simply isn't possible. Anyone that's going to be hotlinking your content should be smart enough to realise that they can, if really necessary, just read your markup to find the URL.

You can't hide anything on the Web.

Mike

queerfm
12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
where do i put this? and will it stop google and them?