PDA

View Full Version : Advice on popup window possibilities

Ralph2
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I have cobbled together a family website. On my Family Tree page I want to provide links to obituaries, eulogies, photos.. etc. I "could" make numerous pages but a better way would be to have dynamic popup windows... without going the mySQL and database route.

Ideally... a "onclick" would open a popup window of a specific size (thumbnail) with content relevant to the link... uncle Jim.. aunt Nancy etc... Then an option to click on image (in popup) to expand it to full size.

I have tried the popup window generator by Eric King http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm and it is "almost" perfect..

The 3 negatives are.. a second instance of the popup puts both of them behind the current window.. thus hiding them from view. And... while the image can be resized by clicking it does not change the size of the popup.. requiring scrolling to see the contents. And.. added as an edit. The links to the popup windows seem to be coded to show at the top of the page... I want mine to be placed within the text.
Can anyone advise on any other solutions.. or how to tweak Eric Kings script.

This content will be placed on a PHP page.... if it makes any difference.

Thank you for your time
Ralph

thenajsays
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
you want lightboxes. try "floatbox," i like it best... its incredibly versatile and customizable... you can do lightboxes inside of lightboxes inside of lightboxes... its really quite great...