PDA

View Full Version : Auto-insert Username/Password

RationalRabbit
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
We have a device that reads room temperature, and will spit out a little XML file of the current temp, which is something we need to monitor and record so that we have a history. That means automating the XML output so that we can periodically store the results in a database. No problem at all, except that the device (for some reason known only to the manufacturer) is password protected. (I guess they are protecting us to prevent our room temperature at a given moment from getting into unscrupulous hands! What a disaster that would be!)

I digress ... Ya' gotta' admit, though - it is quite humorous!

The software is on a chip.
The device is accessed with a web browser and the username/password form is a standard browser login form - the same that you would see if you were to use .htaccess to password protect a directory.

Of course, we can't automate the process if we can't inject the username and password.

If anyone can provide some insight, it would certainly be helpful.

vwphillips
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I am guessing without seeing the form

hard code the required values in the form fields

then

window.onload=document.forms[0].submit();

RationalRabbit
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
There are numerous things I could do if I had access to a form, including eliminating the form altogether. The form is hard-coded into a chip - most likely in the same way as you would password-protect a directory through .htaccess. There is no access to this form.

Jesdisciple
07-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Rabbit, I think you misunderstood the suggestion. Find the username and password fields and assign values to them...
name.value = username;
pass.value = password;