PDA

View Full Version : My New Site (free forums)

Jleagle
08-28-2005, 12:42 AM
hey everyone, im in the middle of making this new site which is support for phpBB, can you tell me what you think and how i can impove it :D It will offer lots of mods and templates but at the moment all i have finished is the free forum hosting.

edit(forgot link): http://www.phpbbsupport.com/

Thanks

cr3ative
08-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Uhm... why?

www.phpbb.com have an active community of tens of thousands of developers and help gurus. I'd go there for help if and when I needed it.

And if I need mods or templates, I go to www.phpbbhacks.com - I don't think your site will be able to compete, honestly.

Just my $0.02.
cr3

Jleagle
08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
it may not beat phpbbhacks.com right away but these things take time right? i added a link, tell me what you think ;) - poetry haha

cr3ative
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
- I can't read the text without highlighting it
- The phpBB forum skin does not match the rest of the site
- You don't have any mods yet.
- Why on earth are you offering the default skin as a download?
- None of your "utilities" work
- The "network" bar at the top is just annoying and should have a "disable" option.
- Your forum has no descriptions by the forum names, which is bad practice.

It needs a lot of work. Personally, I wouldn't bother, due to the already huge communities on phpbb/phpbbhacks.

cr3

Twey
08-28-2005, 11:19 AM
- The phpBB forum skin does not match the rest of the site

At all. You really need to skin it.

- None of your "utilities" work

The md5sum generator does. One comes installed with most operating systems, though. Even Windows has a version, I think.

- The "network" bar at the top is just annoying and should have a "disable" option.
It shouldn't be there. Nowhere else do you meantion this "JimEagle Network;" it's totally unrelated to your site.

- Your forum has no descriptions by the forum names, which is bad practice.
Seconded.

It does need a lot of work. Everything has to start somewhere, though, and just because you're not the first, there's no reason you can't be the best! :) Keep at it.

Jleagle
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
guys its not finished yet!! thats why theres no mods and not everything is finished, thats what i said in the first post. The only decent suggestions you have made is that you cant read the text easily so make it contrast more, and thanks for that, i agree.

Instead of telling people not to bother how about helping them? ever heard of competition? everything starts somewhere...

Twey
08-28-2005, 08:15 PM
The md5sum generator isn't really needed. One comes installed with most operating systems, though. Even Windows has a version, I think.
The network bar shouldn't be there. Nowhere else do you meantion this "JimEagle Network;" it's totally unrelated to your site.

Those are useful suggestions! :(

cr3ative
08-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey, at least we didn't shout at you and point you towards the advertising rule =P

But seriously, how do you plan to get new mods - you need to set up a submission system unless you're intent on stealing mods off other people's sites. Same with styles.

cr3

Jleagle
08-28-2005, 10:22 PM
well i plan on doing both of those, i have a miner script which will get me all the mods/styles from other sites, and one by one ill email the owner and get their permission to host their work, also i will make a simple upload script that will automaticly add the file to the database but will need to be activated by an admin to show up on the page :D - btw im filling in all the forum descriptions like you said :P

Ive thought about it and im going to remove the network bar from the forums but keep it on the site :|

Cheers, Jim.

thewebguy
08-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Want a quick easy to use ready to go FORUM
:D http://forum.snitz.com/

Twey
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Let me get this straight.
The guy is using PHP, on a site all about phpBB, and is offering hosting for phpBB forums, and you suggest using a different, ASP-based forum.
Someone give the genius a cracker.
You obviously haven't even looked at his site. That is, if this post was intended to be related to the thread, not just spontaneous advertising.