PDA

View Full Version : Step Carousel IE problem

OL1
06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
1) Script Title: Script Title: Step Carousel Viewer v1.6.1

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/stepcarousel.htm

3) Describe problem:
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with the following problem;

I have a carousel with about 15 different images on, for example, when image 3 is clicked it goes to page3.html, the carousel always stays at the bottom and is used as an image based navigation bar. On internet explorer when an image is clicked such as image 10, it goes to page 10.html, but when loading the carousel flickers back to the beginning (image 1) and then a second later back to image 10. This happens both locally and when hosted. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't give you a glimpse of the first set of images again.

I think it's a problem with the scripts loading in the wrong order...but can't figure out why. Are there any common problems just in IE that i should be looking out for? It works fine in firefox and safari!

Many thanks for any advice.
Oliver

ddadmin
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

OL1
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Sorry, i should have posted that earlier.

I've set up a quick test version, so ignore the css and code for now as it's rough, but gives a good idea of whats happening and how i'm loading everything.

http://birdwingtesting.brinkster.net

I've tested it on IE and its still showing the problem, and there's a definite jump when navigating to a different page, but on safari and firefox it runs really smooth.

Many thanks :)

OL1
06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Also just to add, i've tried changing the loading order, and still having the same problem.. hmm.. I'm wondering whether its something in the stepcarousel.js file, maybe the part of the code that stores where you are on refresh, as IE might be reading it wrong compared to the other browsers, but i could be totally wrong as this is the first carousel i've worked with.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

ddadmin
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmm that's interesting. I see what you mean, but so far I can't determine why there is that flicker in IE. There isn't any ordering issues with the script, or it wouldn't eventually rest on the correct panel at all in IE. The flicker means there is a slight delay before it goes to that panel.

The only theory I have at this point may be to do with the fact that your panels consists of images (ie: "thumbs/1.gif"). What happens if you change them all to regular HTML/text content?

OL1
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm off on holiday for a week in a couple of hours so haven't got enough time to try and see if the images are the problem. I'll check as soon as i'm back though, and will let you know. Hopefully can try and resolve it when i'm back, although if the images are the problem i'm guessing its not an easy fix.

If you can think of anything in the meantime though just let me know, and i'll try and reply as soon as possible.

thanks for your help,
Oli

OL1
06-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi again,

back from hols now, so i've redone the carousel with just text inside it, and it still has the same problem. This new version can be seen at http://birdwingonline.com/test/text/fourteen.html .. if you look closely you'll still see the jump and it display the first few numbers. It works so well in firefox and safari though which is really annoying since most viewers have IE.

It looks like an error in IE on refresh, but don't really know where to start in the stepcarousel.js to resolve it. Do you have any further ideas?

Many thanks!

OL1
06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Or if there is an alternative script that could give a similar navigational feel then that would be fine too. Just really need to get it sorted in the next few days though or find an alternative.

Thanks!