PDA

View Full Version : TOS question: Meaning of redistribute

xbluemoonx
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
hey there.

i am looking to start selling web page designs and i have a questions in regards to the TOS for DD. It says that the script may not be redistributed, what does this mean exactly? Can I sell my designs with DD scripts intact on commercial and personal sites (w/ credits of course) or is that against the TOS? I am not looking to archive or sell the scripts by themselves.

Some help would be appreciated, thanks.

xbluemoonx
08-25-2005, 06:52 PM
well since admin won't reply and no one answered my email, i will assume it is okay.

later.

cr3ative
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Woah, woah.
Wait a few days.

cr3

/edit: I think this is quite clear: 1) Users may use any of the scripts found on Dynamic Drive on both personal and commercial web sites, free of charge. However, users may NOT redistribute, sell, or repost for download any of the scripts found on Dynamic Drive on any medium (CD-Rom, website, etc) without the expressed written permission of Dynamic Drive. What this basically means is that while you may use our scripts on your site, you may not redistribute them (ie: put them on another script archive). The only exception are scripts submitted by outside programmers. The distribution rights to these scripts belong to both Dynamic Drive (as agreed to by user when he/she submitted script to us) AND the authors themselves. Approval from either party is required for non standard usage.

That would be a no, without consent.
And not getting an answer doesn't imply consent =P

ddadmin
08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi:
By redistribution, we mean that in the strictest and direct sense, such as including our scripts in another JavaScript archive, or putting it on a CD ROM featuring free JavaScripts. This isn't allowed.

In the case of a professional web designer using our scripts in his/her site projects, this is allowed (with credits intact of course). However, some people will try and exploit this allowance, by basically selling site templates with little but our script on it, bypassing the "no redistribution" terms. these people are basically directly redistributing our scripts, under the disguise of a web site template. In such cases, we reserve the right to take action. Without knowing more about what you mean by "web page designs", it's hard for me to give you a definite answer, but it should be fine based on your description.

p.s: And cr3ative is right of course- no response does not imply consent.

xbluemoonx
08-27-2005, 12:19 AM
sorry, but i saw admin surfing this part of the forum previously and felt looked over. no harm done.

i am not selling templates nor do i plan on it in the future. everything i do is based on requests and so far, no two sites have been the same. so i guess that answers my question.

thank you