PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Element Alignment

EliteSeraphim
08-20-2005, 03:27 AM
Hi John,
The site I am working on is coming along well and your alignment code has done wonders. One thing I didn't notice till now though is that if you are viewing the page in any other resolution other than 1024 X 768 (either on IE or Firefox, it matters not) and you click on a link, the new page loads and then it is shifted to the right or left accordingly. It goes without saying that It looks strange to have the page move around whenever you click on links. I do remember you working on a memory feature for the script, but I am not entirely sure. If you don't work at 1024 X 768, change your resolution and see if you run into the same issue. I was wondering if the code could be modified so that is shifts all content beforehand.

Here is a page that contains numerous links so you can see how it is affected: http://www.projectcoe.com/microsoft/previews.html

and here is the link to the script itself: http://www.projectcoe.com/Scripts/alignment.js

jscheuer1
08-20-2005, 03:55 AM
I think that would have to be done via session cookie. I'll let you know if/when I come up with anything.

EliteSeraphim
08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh, this has to be done through a cookie? ok. I was thinking that script could be modified do the calculations before the content is actually displayed on the screen instead of after.

jscheuer1
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
IE requires the page be loaded before it allows itself to know the window width.

EliteSeraphim
08-28-2005, 06:23 AM
John, we are about a week or so from the launch of our new page and I was wondering if you had the time to look into any solutions for this particular issue.

jscheuer1
08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
From the beginning I told you it would be better to write the page so it didn't require this kind of script. I'm satisfied with the script's performance. Any complex page will look odd when it loads at dial-up speed. A final jump is just one more oddity of many. Over a broadband connection it is hardly worth worrying about. That being said, I probably will see what can be done about it at some point. I don't respond well to deadlines though, unless I am being paid. And, these forums' restrictions on soliciting business aside, I am not interested in taking on this particular refinement of this particular script as a paid assignment.

EliteSeraphim
08-28-2005, 08:16 PM
I apologize for sounding like I was demanding something to be done by a deadline, that was not my attention. I was merely asking if you had the time to look into it so we could add it along the relaunch of the site. Believe me, I am overly greatful for you taking the time to write the script since it solved quite a lot of issues.