PDA

View Full Version : anti-alias text rendering?

EliteSeraphim
08-13-2005, 05:59 PM
is there a way to anti-alias text using the "text-rendering:" or some other attribute? This text can't be transformed into an image, so I need for it to look as clean as possible.

jscheuer1
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
There is no css property "text-rendering:" that I know of or listed on my favorite site for css properties. 'Anti-alias' (in this context) is a vague term meaning, generally 'to remove a previously assigned name'. Could you be more specific? What properties does your text have that you want it to lose? How did it get them (show style or attributes)? When do you want it to lose them (show portion of code where you want this to happen)?

mwinter
08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
'Anti-alias' (in this context) is a vague term meaning, generally 'to remove a previously assigned name'.In this context, I think the OP is referring to the process of anti-aliasing; smoothing the edges of glyphs.

To the OP: there is no way (for the moment, at least) to smooth text using CSS.

Mike

jscheuer1
08-13-2005, 09:18 PM
That makes tremendous sense. Well, isn't text generally pretty smooth in a modern browser, depending upon font? Both Mozilla and IE on a windows platform render fonts extremely smoothly. That takes in the vast majority of visual clients you will encounter. For Mac, there are alternative font names that work well in Safari and FF on that platform. Unix and other 'nix systems are a challenge to me as I simply am not familiar with them. What OS and browser are you using?

EliteSeraphim
08-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, what I meant by anti-aliasing was smoothing the font. As of now, all of our headlines, titles, etc, are in bold, 14pt arial, which is very smooth across all browsers. However, we are experimenting with "impact" font, and while it looks good, it is much too jaggy. It isn't really a huge deal if this can't easily be done, but if we can to text anti-aliasing through CSS, then that would be great.

Here is the page if you guys want to take a look at it: http://www.projectcoe.com/pc/index.html

mwinter
08-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah, what I meant by anti-aliasing was smoothing the font. [...] It isn't really a huge deal if this can't easily be done, but if we can to text anti-aliasing through CSS, then that would be great.As I wrote, it's not possible at the moment. Anti-aliasing might have been added to CSS 3 (I haven't checked), but most browser vendors will probably be concentrating on finishing support for CSS 2 (or 2.1) so such a feature will be of little use as it won't be implemented anywhere.

Mike