PDA

View Full Version : Drop down menu problem with IFrame

silverbob
04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
1) Script Title: All Levels Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
I'm using All Levels Menu V1.32 on my web site and it's been working great until I added an Iframe just below the top level menus.

As I move the cursor downward from the top level menu, the drop down menus disappear when I reach the point that divides the top and bottom menus. If I move the mouse very quickly, I can get the drop down menus to remain.

I'm only having this problem with I.E. Firefox does not exhibit this problem unless I run FF with the I.E. engine (via the IE Tab add-on).

I tried upgrading to v2.1 to see if the problem still exists, but for some reason the drop down menus don't appear at all when using the latest .js file.

ddadmin
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Is the iframe shim feature enabled inside the .js file near the top? ie:

enableshim: true,

Also, what version of IE does v2.1 of the script fail in for you?

silverbob
04-03-2009, 10:19 PM
"enableshim: true," does not appear in my .js file. By looking at the latest version, I see where it belongs. I tried adding it, but that broke the drop downs. I saw a line further down that read "shimadded: false," and tried changing it to true, but that also broke the menu.

I'm using IE 7. And, v2.1 doesn't work for me in either IE7 or FF3.0.8.

I have no problem with upgrading to the latest version, but I can't see why its breaking. The specs for the top level and bottom level HTML looks the same as for my version.

ddadmin
04-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Does the script break even on the DD demo page for you (which runs v2.1 of course)?

silverbob
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Good question. The demo page works fine. Just for kicks, I copied the script again to my server, and then the menu worked. But, after making a small change to hideinterval or effects, it would break again. Sometimes after clearing my cache it would again work, and sometimes not, in both FF and IE.

In FF, I have the IE tab add-on. If I switch to the IE engine, the menu breaks. This didn't happen with v1.32.

The reason I even tried the upgrade was to see if I get a better shim with the new IFrame I'm loading. It didn't help.

silverbob
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Apparently, the IE TAB add-on for FF doesn't break the menu, I'm getting sporadic results and can't put my finger on when it works and when it doesn't, so I don't want this thread to get bogged down with that.

My main concern is losing the drop-downs with the IFrame. Is the shim adjustable?

I also see that in the upper part of the script it says "enableshim: true", but further down below the ///No need to edit beyond here//////, it says "shimadded: false". Seems like a contradiction.

ddadmin
04-07-2009, 04:28 AM
The shim feature when enabled should cause the drop down menu to appear over the IFRAME (if the two overlap):

enableshim: true, //enable IFRAME shim to prevent drop down menus from being hidden below SELECT or FLASH elements? (tip: disable if not in use, for efficiency)

What happens if you turn it off (set to false)? The "shimadded: false" line you mentioned is irrelevant, as that variable is dynamically set later on by the script.

Also, is the page showing the menu behind a SSL (https)?

silverbob
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
The Iframe is https, but the menu is on an http page.

I saw the comment about using blank.htm, but the comment says "to prevent an IE security prompt", and the menu is run on http. so this doesn't seem to apply.

silverbob
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=ddadmin;192289]The shim feature when enabled should cause the drop down menu to appear over the IFRAME (if the two overlap):

enableshim: true, //enable IFRAME shim to prevent drop down menus from being hidden below SELECT or FLASH elements? (tip: disable if not in use, for efficiency)

Just to re-emphasize my original issue, if I mouse down very quickly, I don't lose the drop down menus, only when I mouse down normally. So, the drop down menus don't seem to be hiding behind the Iframe. Would that be a correct assumption?

ddadmin
04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Hmm it'd be very helpful if you can post a URL to the problem page. And just to rule things out, make sure you do in fact have a "blank.htm" page created and saved in the same directory as where the page showing the menu is located:

httpsiframesrc: "blank.htm",

silverbob
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
The menu is located on index.html. The Iframe is then loaded onto this page from a link. So, the menu is still on index.html, not the Iframe page. I added a blank.htm page in the root of my site where index.html is. Didn't help.

I can provide a URL, but to load the Iframe, you would need a username and password and I don't want to publish that publicly.

silverbob
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
It just occurred to me that if I lengthen the hideinterval, it may solve my problem. I have the hideinterval set to zero. So, after changing this variable to 1000, only my 2nd level menus are affected. Shouldn't this affect all dropdown menus? Is this a known issue in v1.32?

silverbob
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, I was wrong on two counts. One, the hideinterval only happens when completely leaving the menus. I was moving horizontally and didn't see a delay. Second, this didn't help with my problem. I thought the drop downs would hang around for a bit even while mousing down into the Iframe. So, it may still be a shim issue.

I tried adding a full url path to blank.html to first the main site, and then on the Iframe server. Neither had any effect. The only way I can retain the drop down menus on I.E. is to mouse down quickly, before the drop downs disappear. On FF, they work fine.

DDadmin - I can provide you with a URL, username and password privately, if you wish, but not publicly on this board.

silverbob
04-24-2009, 08:25 PM
ddadmin - Have you given up on me?

safkass
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi,

Currently the chrome menu can be aligned left center and right, is there any way to make it RTL? I want to use this menu in arabic website, well currently Dropdown container aligned Left with Main Menu, I want to Align submenu from the right.

I will be really appreciated if you could help me out in this regard.

Reply as soon as possible.

Thanks
Kaleem AHmad