PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a Window's 'fixer' program?

KE5EHI
08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm running Window's 2000 and lately I've been having some issues (from past spyware, etc... I'm sure). I can't access my Network properties (to setup a LAN), I can't access properties for folders, and recently I can't click-and-drag files from a folder to a ftp site opened in a folder, I can't access my Task Manager, and when I load Window's, LimeWire loads, when I close it, it loads again a minute later. It did this about 4 times and I just left it open for a bit then closed it and it hasn't opened.

I really don't want to wipe and reload, which I know I probably will have to do, but I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions as to another way to fix this. I've tried to clean out most of the programs that were causing problems, but I might have accidently erased a system file/setting. I've tried the windows recovery, but nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

cr3ative
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" (Press F8 when booting)

Download all the spyware tools you can lay your hands on and run them. I suggest CWShredder and Microsoft Antispyware among others.

Uninstall any bloatware you might have, and always check through your startup settings - type msconfig into the Run dialog to see what's starting with Windows.
Things like realsched.exe don't need to be there, so be quite selective.

Good Luck,
cr3

KE5EHI
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I've already done that a few times (some of those nasty spywares like to reinstall if you miss one piece of them). I've used CWShredder, HiJackThis, AdAware, SpyBot, and RegCleaner. I'll try the microsoft one. Any other ideas?

cr3ative
08-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm afraid that your install sounds quite messed up. I'd advise backing up all important information and settings before it completely ceases up.

cr3

Twey
08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Cr3 is likely to guess what I'm about to say.
So, I'm not going to say it. :p

You can also manually stop things running at startup. Remove anything that looks suspicious from:
- Your Startup folder
- All Users' startup folder
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

KE5EHI
08-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys. I did some of that and then found this forum:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic29045.html
and did all of that and now it works (for now =)

Thanks again