PDA

View Full Version : Need to create a pop up using data from xml or rss feed

bbamalwa
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi:
I am admin of www.NEDBULLION.IN, and need to find a way to have an Alert Box pop up when ever the XML (or rss feed) is updated, it should pop up with the latest post in it ! The trick is I have access to some XML files that has economic events in it,what i need is whenever a new event takes place it should pop up with their results.

I think it should be possible.

Any Help is Greatly Appreciated!

???
03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
So, if someone is sitting on your page for an hour, and something is changed, you want it to popup without them refreshing? If that's the case, you would either need to use a socket, which you can't do in Javascript, you would need Flash or Java, or you just need to use AJAX or similar to keep looking for changes. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

???
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Looking at you site, what I said before is probably correct. You are also requiring them to have Flash and Java, so a socket would work. You would have to set up a socket server though. About your site in general, I'm pretty sure you can do everything in Java you can do in Flash. Although, requiring them to have Firefox is a little risky, because around twice as many people have IE. Also, rather than having an "essential software" page, you should have Javascript detection so it told them if the didn't have it.

bbamalwa
03-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Thank's a lot for your feed and your answer.

Your guess was correct, I need the same You thought about.

Can you suggest me how to do this, as I am a new guy to both Java and Flash.

Or where should I post my question else.

thank's A LOT.....
Banwari