PDA

View Full Version : Flexi Slideshow and IE 7 issue

Artimesia
03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I updated yesterday to IE 7 and I could no longer see our Flexi Slideshow. I can see it in Opera and FF however.

I still need it to view in IE 6 for some users too.

The link here (http://www.ottawa.anglican.ca)

Anything you can suggest would be a help as this is a much used site and I am preparing for the onslaught of complaints I will get from users with 7 who cannot see it either.

Gulp....

Thanks for your help and advice;

Artimesia

jscheuer1
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Boy are you behind the times - that is if you really mean IE 7 - IE 8 has just been officially released. Anyways, your slide show, if it is the one beside the "Our Mission" blurb, is working just fine in IE 7 here. What OS are you using?

Artimesia
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Boy are you behind the times - that is if you really mean IE 7 - IE 8 has just been officially released. Anyways, your slide show, if it is the one beside the "Our Mission" blurb, is working just fine in IE 7 here. What OS are you using?

Likely I am out-of-date, yet that is what I use. I have Vista and I don't see the slideshow.....and the fact you do is encouraging but not helpful for me personally.

Thank you for your time.

jscheuer1
03-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Well, the reason I asked about the OS is that Vista sometimes will block scripts due to its internal configuration, or because of third party add ons in the areas of anti-virus or anti-malware. The reason that this would only emerge with an upgrade to IE 7 is that IE 6 was never optimised for integration with Vista, whereas IE 7 is. However, most users with this sort of setup figure out how to stop this without incurring additional risk because it affects many scripts, on many websites and is a bit of overkill on the security front.

Additionally, if you had accepted IE 7 from the beginning (I believe it was available for Vista early on, if not at the very beginning), you might not have had this problem.

All that said, Flexi is a rather outdated script. And although it may not make a difference, you should at least try upgrading to:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

or:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

You may very well have better luck with either of them.

Artimesia
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Thank you John for taking that extra step and pointing me in this direction. Both scripts work for me now.

May I ask, is there a way to stop the slideshow after say 2 rotations?

Thank you again for your assistance, it is appreciated.

Artimesia

Well, the reason I asked about the OS is that Vista sometimes will block scripts due to its internal configuration, or because of third party add ons in the areas of anti-virus or anti-malware. The reason that this would only emerge with an upgrade to IE 7 is that IE 6 was never optimised for integration with Vista, whereas IE 7 is. However, most users with this sort of setup figure out how to stop this without incurring additional risk because it affects many scripts, on many websites and is a bit of overkill on the security front.

Additionally, if you had accepted IE 7 from the beginning (I believe it was available for Vista early on, if not at the very beginning), you might not have had this problem.

All that said, Flexi is a rather outdated script. And although it may not make a difference, you should at least try upgrading to:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

or:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

You may very well have better luck with either of them.

jscheuer1
03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Well for Ultimate fade, use these instructions:

To preserve the multiple shows feature of this script and have an option for any given one to stop after a specified number of times through, make these modifications -

to the function 'fadeshow' (additions red):

function fadeshow(theimages, fadewidth, fadeheight, borderwidth, delay, pause, times, displayorder){
this.flag = 0;
this.times = times;
this.pausecheck=pause
this.mouseovercheck=0
. . .

to the function 'fadepic' (near its end):

. . .
obj.tempobj=iebrowser? iebrowser[obj.nextcanvas] : document.getElementById(obj.nextcanvas)
if(obj.flag && obj.flag === obj.times)
return;
if(obj.times && obj.nextimageindex === obj.postimages.length - 1)
++obj.flag;
obj.populateslide(obj.tempobj, obj.nextimageindex)
obj.nextimageindex=(obj.nextimageindex<obj.postimages.length-1)? obj.nextimageindex+1 : 0
setTimeout("fadearray["+obj.slideshowid+"].rotateimage()", obj.delay)
}
}

Now the syntax for invoking any given slideshow instance has an added parameter - 'times':

<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), times (0=continuous, #=number of times), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 1, 1, "R")

</script>

In the above example, the slideshow invoked will stop at the last image. If the red 1 were set to 0, it would run continuously. Use 2 for two times, etc.

Artimesia
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Thank you so much for all your help....

Cheers to you for your good works;
Artimesia

Well for Ultimate fade, use these instructions:

To preserve the multiple shows feature of this script and have an option for any given one to stop after a specified number of times through, make these modifications -

to the function 'fadeshow' (additions red):

function fadeshow(theimages, fadewidth, fadeheight, borderwidth, delay, pause, times, displayorder){
this.flag = 0;
this.times = times;
this.pausecheck=pause
this.mouseovercheck=0
. . .

to the function 'fadepic' (near its end):

. . .
obj.tempobj=iebrowser? iebrowser[obj.nextcanvas] : document.getElementById(obj.nextcanvas)
if(obj.flag && obj.flag === obj.times)
return;
if(obj.times && obj.nextimageindex === obj.postimages.length - 1)
++obj.flag;
obj.populateslide(obj.tempobj, obj.nextimageindex)
obj.nextimageindex=(obj.nextimageindex<obj.postimages.length-1)? obj.nextimageindex+1 : 0
setTimeout("fadearray["+obj.slideshowid+"].rotateimage()", obj.delay)
}
}

Now the syntax for invoking any given slideshow instance has an added parameter - 'times':

<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), times (0=continuous, #=number of times), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 1, 1, "R")

</script>

In the above example, the slideshow invoked will stop at the last image. If the red 1 were set to 0, it would run continuously. Use 2 for two times, etc.