PDA

View Full Version : Disable Clipboard in Firefox

Lulu
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I found this terrific piece which disables copy/paste by emptying the clipboard

it goes like this:

onload=setInterval("window.clipboardData.clearData()",20)>

Works A-OK in IE and NS; Problem is it doesn't work in Firefox. Any one know of a one-size-fits all script that will work for all thee Browsers or a comparable line for Firefox?

I know the debate on trying to block things like right-mouse clicks and copy/pastes and view sources ... let's not go there. Suffice it to say there is good reason why this Intranet application must try to disable the most obvious avenues for mis-use of data. I know nothing is absolutely hack-proof. But as the old saying goes, "Locks are on doors to keep honest people honest."

So far I've been able to disable right mouse, most hot keys, toolbars, printing ... anyone want to suggest any other blocks?

cr3ative
08-09-2005, 08:05 PM
You can't empty the firefox clipboard, I'm afraid.

Microsoft were foolish to allow it in Internet Explorer, IMHO.

-cr3

Twey
08-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Mozilla have a less frivolous attitude towards security than Microsoft. You cannot interfere with the operating system from Firefox.

Lulu
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Hmmm .... how about a substitute string?? Something along the lines of when the data is sent to clipboard, then send "XXXXXXXXX" to the clipboard.

I've read cr3ation's posts on the subject of the futility of blocking right clicks, etc. But honestly, in the real world there are sometimes really good business reasons to erect barriers if/when possible. Keep in mind my app is strictly an INTRAnet ... so niceties of user friendliness do not necessarily apply.

Twey
08-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Not possible. You can't interfere with the clipboard in any way.
What are you trying to achieve? Perhaps there's another way.

Lulu
08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
As described this is an INTRAnet for use in a sensitive dept. Am blocking all obvious avenues of printing or copying data. Needs to be strictly eyes-only. Doing OK with disabling IE and NS but Firefox is the killer. (I've also thought of the TempFile issue, and I've resolved that (so far)). If I can just disable copy/paste from Firefox I'll have the bulk of my avenues closed (I hope). As I said before, I know nothing is hackproof. But by putting up as many barriers as I can discourages crimes-of-opportunity. Or of someone being falsely accused of criminal conduct because they accidentally hit Ctrl+P and ended up with a printed doc in his hand. If, after all the obvious methods are tried and failed and someone still is determined to print or copy the data, that person would really have to 1) know what he/she is doing and 2) make out-of-the ordinary effort to get the data. This falls under the heading intentional misuse which, being a govt agency, can get a person into handcuffs.

Twey
08-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Have you tried just keylogging the machines? That way you could see if someone copied/printed the data. This is far more secure than other methods, and you should be able to tell the difference between a mistake and intentional copying.

Lulu
08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Keylogging? Please define.

al woody
10-24-2005, 10:33 AM
How do you disable Hotkeys? I know how to disable the Right Click Menu but I've no idea how to stop people using hotkeys. Please Help!

cr3ative
10-24-2005, 11:08 AM
*smacks head repeatedly on desk*

There is NO reliable way of disabling browser features.
At all.
On any browser.

It can ALWAYS be circumvented.

-cr3