PDA

View Full Version : Cool DHTML Tooltip - does not work in FF1 - why???

inkerrville
08-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Hello,

This is my very first time here and I have really enjoyed dd's scripts. I have run into a problem and hopefully someone can help me. The cool dhtml tooltip says that it works in FF1+IE5+Opr7. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to FF and Opr, but it seems that this script works great in IE, but does not display correctly in FF. Have I done something wrong? My site is inkerrville dot com and when you put your cursor over the navigation on the left the tooltip shows up great in IE, but not in FF. And I'm not sure how it looks in Opr. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Thank you

inKerrville

jscheuer1
08-08-2005, 05:15 PM
All I can really say right now is that there are a great many things about your page that do not work in FF. The demo of this script works fine in FF. So, I'd suggest either not worrying about it or first getting your page to render well in FF without the tool tip script. If you put the script and the:

<div id="dhtmltooltip"></div>

as the last thing before the </body> tag, at least it won't be as bad in FF. Also, if right after these lines:

function ddrivetip(thetext, thecolor, thewidth){
if (ns6||ie){you put these lines:

if (!document.all)
return;it will disable it completely in FF.

inkerrville
08-09-2005, 03:46 AM
First off, my page was displaying correctly in FF before I inserted the tool-tip, so I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Also, you say that there are a great many things that do not work in FF, can you please tell me what those are? It seemed to be ok until the tool-tip. Now I did take out the scrolling script, I thought that had something to do with it, but I was wrong.

Thanks for your help. I really appreicate it.

inKerrville

jscheuer1
08-09-2005, 06:52 AM
many things that do not work in FF, can you please tell me what those are?I took the tool tip script off and still borders and tabs are missing from the page in FF. Also in FF there is a lot more white space on the page and the tabbed content appears in a section by itself centered aligned, vertically displayed.

inkerrville
08-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you John,

Oh boy, for some reason I'm almost ready to cry. :confused:

And here I was thinking I was getting some where. Ok, here I go, on a mission. First off: I don't understand what you mean by pretty much everything you said. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like such a dumb-head, but I'm really kinda confused now.

White space?

Borders and tabs? Before I put the tool-tip script in, the borders were all there - I thought anyway, I'm so confused, did I already say that?. Tabs - I'm not too sure about. ????????

Tabbed content?

Thank you for your help John. (and patience :o )

Rachell

jscheuer1
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Ungh, how could I be so insensitive. Anyways, yes I meant the tabs used for the tabbed content, they look like this:

* Home
* Kerrville Links
* S I K!
* Daily Quote
* Rate This Site
* Contact Us
* About Us

including the white space on either side. If you had this all working in FF before some change that you made at some point, hopefully you have an old copy of the file from that time. I really can sympathize. It wasn't all that long ago that I opened a site I professionally master in NS7.2 for the first time and saw garbage. It was a lot of work, getting things so they looked OK in NS which, thankfully is about the same as FF. Since then I have learned much more about web design and would do things much differently, from the very beginning.

inkerrville
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I see what you mean, in FF there is alot of white space. I don't know why though. I went in and took out every single javascript I had in there. My chat button, my scrolling text, and my tool-tip. Now it's messed up in FF, looks fine in IE, but not in FF. And I got so excited about the tool-tip that I didn't save a copy of the file when it worked in FF. But I promise it did. Do you see it in IE? That's the way it looked in FF, even with the chat button and the scrolling text. Well, I guess I've got alot of work to do now.

Thank you for your help.

Rachell

inkerrville
08-09-2005, 05:15 PM
if you go to my site and my background page, you will see that the tool-tip is working, but everything else is still messed up, BUT, the tool-tip is working. and the chat button is there too. this is weird, i'm so confused i had to take some tylenol. i wish i knew what was going on.

hmmm...

www.inkerrville.com/background.html

Rachell