PDA

View Full Version : change floating js menu to embeded?

wiklendt
08-07-2005, 12:56 AM
hi there,

[edit] actually, upon looking for a solution, i realised that this menu i have is actually from DD: "HV Menu v5.5", os i don't know if this topic needs to be moved?? [edit]

i have a floating javascript menu at the moment with absolute positioning (to the pixel) defined in the external js. as everyone would be aware, each different browser (IE, NS, FF, and Opera, to name a few) renders this differently. i therefore altered the script to be x browser adjustable. all good, you think? no.

my problem is worse. let's concentrate on IE. i made my menu absolutely positioned and also fits perfectly in the spot i want it and made for it. now, when i look at the site from a different computer, using IE also (possibly different version, but all are on XP) the menu is positioned differently on all of them!!! pefect on mine, too high on another and too low on the third!

so my best solution would be to embed the menu somehow - to force it to be in a table cell or a div or whatever - ay least in the body where i want it. that way it will be x browser positioned without having to adjust individually for each browser, and in a table, it would be perfectly positioned no matter which version (so long as it's a javascript enabled version) of browser it is, or which box i look at it from.

can anyone help?

i also don't want to have to put all this code in each of my pages, i still need them to be externally referenced.

here is the code that is currently in the html file to call the js...
there are then two external js files (see attached - rename to js)

<head><script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"></script>
</head>
<body>
<!--js nav bar x-browser friendly START -->
<script type='text/javascript'>
function Go(){return}
</script>
<script type='text/javascript' src='menu_var.js'></script>
<script type='text/javascript' src='menu_com.js'></script>
<noscript>Your browser does not support script</noscript>
<!--js nav bar x-browser friendly END -->
</body>