PDA

View Full Version : prevent copying/saving web pages?

gilsha
08-05-2005, 05:08 AM
hi all,

need your urgent assistant please.... :(

i want to show documents on my site - just for a quick preview and i want to prevent people copying them.
i do not care using additional components such as active X in order to assure people not stilling this content (they have to pay in order for me to send it to them).

any kind of help will be deeply appreciated !!!!!

thanks in advance.

cr3ative
08-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Sorry, but it's not possible. The only way to prevent people copying your documents is to either watermark them or to not publish them on the unsecure web. There's no other reliable option.

You could always set up a site like so:

- Previews are heavily watermarked
- Customer pays to get a password to the protected site
- Customer can then log in and get the full document

cr3ative

Twey
08-05-2005, 11:37 AM
i do not care using additional components such as active X in order to assure people not stilling this content
You should do. OK, so people can see it after they've bought it, but a lot of people can't use ActiveX, since it's only supported by IE, which some people don't have. Also, it's rather insecure, so a lot of people who do have IE turn it off.

If you're selling artwork, I advise you to only put small and/or low-resolution images up as previews: the customer only gets the full-size or -quality picture after they pay.

gilsha
08-07-2005, 06:59 AM
first - thanks for the replys.

what i'm presenting in my site are researchs - that i want to expose them for few mintues only for review.
as this is a very unique offer - i can effors asking people to install the activex component prior to the viewing.

so - is it possible to protect the content by doing so? and if someone else has any other ways to do it.....

please try to be creative :-)

thanks for the help

gilsha

jscheuer1
08-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Is there any reason why you couldn't use summaries, introductions and/or descriptions to whet your potential customers appetites rather than offering the entire content?

gilsha
08-07-2005, 03:06 PM
yes - i want to do something different - something that will be very appealing to people.

already have the summary posted - but - this feature is much better for a user point of view.

Twey
08-07-2005, 03:08 PM
If the user can see it, the user can nick it. Sorry, but that's all there is to it.

StellarDevil
08-12-2005, 12:04 AM
The best way to protect your information is as far as i know. (Noticed this while i was trying to get the Final Fantasy Advant children priview off a site)

Loading a Flash script in a flash script, countless flash "rippers" coulden't get it.. Although i could go and decompile the flash and look through the code for the link (That's a hell) it's probably the only thing i haven't been able to rip off a site to my knowlage.

Also because the flash loads the flash it doesn't seem to put it on your harddisk and it stays in the memory.

An alternate option is generating images with a PHP script so it's less easy to rip, but then it's still ripable if someone puts it trough a OCR program, just a lot more work for them, and the server gets a big strain.

Twey
08-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't know about Flash; the first option may or may not work as far as I know.
Generating images via a server-side script will be no help whatsoever. They're still just as savable as the next image. And the OP was talking about a whole webpage, not just the images.