PDA

View Full Version : Need Full Screen Window Opener that actually WORKS

li48
08-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi

I've tried using Full Screen Window Opener Scripts from several sites and each time I try them my screen opens to full screen but it's blank and it makes an annoying continuous clicking sound for about a minute and then suddenly opens my page in full screen. Can anyone tell me why it's doing that? I want it to just open immediately the way the demos do...

Twey
08-04-2005, 05:41 PM
When you say "full screen," do you just mean maximised or actually full-screen?

li48
08-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Actually full screen. I tried the script from http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/andboomwindow.html and one from http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/dhtml/article.php/3470521 and also from http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/full-screen.html and of course the one from here at Dynamicdrive and none would work properly for me. All but the Dynamicdrive one showed the white screen for a minute with the clicking sounds before opening to full screen mode (so they did work but not immediately as the demos do) and the one from Dynamicdrive doesn't do exactly what I want which is to open full screen on load. The Dynamicdrive script show a page with a button which supposedly launches the full screen (although even that didn't work for me) I have not changed any code in any of the scripts except putting in the URL of my page.
Just wondering if anyone else would like to try out any of the scripts I listed and see if they have the same problem or is it just me?

P.S. These were tested in IE 6 and in FireFox

Twey
08-04-2005, 08:17 PM
None of the above worked for me, in Firefox. In fact, I'd be rather worried if they did... (thinks full-screen popups :eek: ). I can't say I've ever had to open a window fullscreen. Sorry I can't be of more help.

li48
08-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Okay, so maybe it's not just me. I wonder how they got the demos to work so well using the same code? :confused:

I'd like to be able to do it for a website I'm creating that will only be viewed by a few family and friends (a wedding site). The design looks best in full screen mode without the hideous browser toolbars taking up half the screen! Because they are family and friends they wouldn't mind seeing the site fullscreen.

Personally I'd love to view ALL websites this way (with maybe only a very thin toolbar for back, forward, refresh buttons etc.) If only they'd create a browser like that! I know F11 opens almost fullscreen in IE but I wish it were automatic... I know what you mean about annoying pop-up ads though! They should be banned altogether!

If anyone knows why these scripts are behaving so oddly or has a script that works please let me know! I'd like to get the site up soon and if I have to do it in normal mode it will really ruin the look of the site IMO

CooperTrooper
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Try this...

You need 2 pages, the initial one (say index.html) that upon loading opens another page FULLSCREEN (we can call this index2.html).

index.html
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript">
<!--
function fullwin()
{
window.open("index2.html","","fullscreen,scrollbars")
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY onLoad="fullwin()">
</BODY>
</HTML>

index2.html
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>Press ALT + F4 To Close
</BODY>
</HTML>
-------------------------
To close this second window you need to press ALT + F4. It doesn't actually close the window but it restores the view to a "normal" one.