PDA

View Full Version : I need someone to re-state the Encrypted Password function...

sportious
08-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I am having some issues understanding the coding for the Encrypted Password coding...

1) Would I have to create a PASSWORD & LOGIN page, then once the visitor hits submit, then it will redirect the visitor to the 'secured page'???

2) Can I have more than one passwords and logins, using this function??

3) Mainly I am wanting to set something up like Dynamic Drive Forum login page...

Can anyone help???

thanks ahead of time...

JL

cr3ative
08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi - Please use your existing thread rather than creating a new one.

Are you wanting to do this server-side (secure) or client-side (not so secure)?
What server-side languages do you have?

cr3

sportious
08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
thus, I started a new thread for this topic....

JL

Twey
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
1) Would I have to create a PASSWORD & LOGIN page, then once the visitor hits submit, then it will redirect the visitor to the 'secured page'???
Yes.

2) Can I have more than one passwords and logins, using this function??
Yes.

3) Mainly I am wanting to set something up like Dynamic Drive Forum login page...
No way.

The DD login system is done server-side, using databases; such a method is far too complicated to be done client-side. I suppose it could; however, it's not very secure, and the result wouldn't be nearly worth the large amounts of code that one would have to put into the effort. Plus it wouldn't work for non-JS users.

sportious
08-08-2005, 02:00 PM
well, for now, I will leave this alone, til the site becomes needy of such function...

is there a recommendation, though, for what I am trying to acheive. I don't know if I have said this, but I am currently using Yahoo Basic/Starter package to host my site. I understand that this package does not support PHP, MySQL, etc.. So, what I am saying is this... is there a (cheap, if possible) host that I can use to accomplish 1) web hosting, 2) secured password/logins, and 3) forums! If so, what is the link....

thank you again for your help!

JL

Twey
08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Personally, I use http://www.dotservant.com/ . They provide all of the above (make sure you get a package with MySQL), and they're reasonably priced.
P.S. don't use their control panel to install software, even if it's included there: they're several versions out of date and won't allow you to install more than one piece of software on one database. A manual install means you can put everything into one database.

I daresay somebody will point out a better host :p