PDA

View Full Version : Java and Frontpage 2003 cells

fantome
08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Generel problems w/ Java and Frontpage cells

Almost every java (e.g. mouseover popup images, image galleries etc.) I attempt to insert into a cell-based Frontpage 2003 homepage, seems not to work. I can make the coding in a separate page, and it works fine, but then attempting to copy the head and body part to the page I want only works if I do it outside the actual cells (which isnīt exactly what I want) and doesnīt if I even think of moving it.

Any suggestions? (donīt say; donīt use Frontpage - wonīt help me - cause Iīm already doing it).

Sincerely

Fantome

Twey
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
There are no other suggestions. Frontpage tends to wreak havoc on code; the only real way you can stop it doing this is to not use it.

P.S. Java and Javascript are two very different languages. Don't get them confused.

jscheuer1
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, you might be able to configure FP so as to allow you to insert code like this without it mangling it so much. Read the manual or Google for help on that. Another alternative, and what I recommend in all cases like this, is to get your page looking like you want using FP but without any scripts. Save a copy of that somewhere to work on later if the need arises. Next open the page in notepad or simple text and add the scripts in according to the installation instructions, including any customization you've added. Never load this version of the page into FP ever again. To preview it locally, use the browser. To upload it, use FTP (preferred) or your host's online uploading tool.

usace-lrc
03-06-2006, 12:05 AM
This is the same problem that I am having. The java script provided on Dynamic Drive is really awesome. But given the choice between a boring page that is easy to maintain and update and one that looks cool but is high maintenance. I am opting for the boring one. I was hoping there would be sort of tag, that frontpage or word would leave alone, kinda of like a comment tag.

Thanks

Twey
03-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, apparently:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28846&postcount=2

Although I'd hardly call editing HTML "high maintenance" :)

jscheuer1
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Although I'd hardly call editing HTML "high maintenance" :)

I think he was referring to having to edit the page again in a text editor each time it was edited in FP. Definitely a problem, in fact, I once turned down a job because the host (a third party in the situation) would not allow FTP, only FP extension uploads and I couldn't, at that time, figure a way around it. usace-lrc has since enlightened me as to what I might have done.