PDA

View Full Version : ultimate fade in slideshow issue with dreamweaver popup menu

kad
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
1) Ultimate Fade in Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: In Firefox 3.0.6 my dreamweaver popup menus get hidden behind the ultimate fade-in slideshow. I've tried z-index on my menu div to no avail.

Snookerman
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Usually the reason why z-index doesn't work is because the element need to be positioned. Giving it the attribute position:relative; usually does the trick. If that doesn't work:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script or attach your code so we can check it out and help you.

Good luck!

kad
02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I did do position relative!

http://www.databuilderinc.com/index.html

I can't see the issue - I'm in the process of downloading that version of FF that apparently causes the issue. My client sees it.

Snookerman
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Add this to your css code:

#master0 {
z-index: -1;
}

Good luck!

jscheuer1
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Your page is in violation of Dynamic Drive's usage terms (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/notice.htm), which, among other things, state that the script credit must appear in the source code of the page(s) using the script. Please reinstate the notice first.

kad
02-09-2009, 12:12 AM
why does that work?!?

kad
02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
John - I have a previous version of the code which must have put everything into a separate file... the credit is in that file. At any rate- I added it to the index file as well. thanks.

jscheuer1
02-09-2009, 12:44 AM
why does that work?!?

Why does what work? If you are referring to Snookerman's solution to your original problem, it shouldn't really. But browsers are often quirky with z-index, so count your blessings. The U-Fade slideshow writes one master division (and two other canvas divisions contained in that show's master division) to the page for each slideshow. The first is always master0, the second slideshow (if you have another one) uses master1, and so on.

By styling #master0 to z-index: -1;, it should put the entire slideshow underneath everything on the page, but luckily, it appears that it just puts it underneath the menu.

At the same time, U-Fade works in part by escalating the z-index values of the canvas divisions, so they should eventually overtake the menu, regardless of the master division's z-index - or shouldn't appear at all. Like I said, a fortunate quirk, at least in this case.

John - I have a previous version of the code which must have put everything into a separate file... the credit is in that file. At any rate- I added it to the index file as well. thanks.

No problem really, thanks for including the credit. Enforcement around here is often a little lax, and we understand that sometimes these things just get left off unintentionally. However, you are required by DD usage terms to include the credit in the source code of the page itself - a small price to pay for a valuable free script - not to mention pretty good free support as well.

kad
02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
I just realized that while this css code fixed the menu hiding issue, it created a new one! Now the links on the slideshow don't work. Each image in the slideshow goes to a different page. When I remove the master0 css code, the links work again. Any ideas? Or am I asking too much to have both work?!?

jscheuer1
02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
I kind of warned that there could be problems with that approach. Here's what appears to work here (addition highlighted):

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="" />
<link rel="icon" href="" />
<style type="text/css" media="all">
@import url(styles.css);
</style>
<!--<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />-->
<style type="text/css">
#main, #main * {
position: relative!important;
z-index: 0!important;
}
#master0 {
z-index: 0!important;
}
</style>
<script>
<!--
/*
Textual Tooltip Script-
Dynamic Drive (www. . . .

I made no changes to whatever else it was that you already did, so you should be able to, perhaps even must, leave those adjustments as they currently are. But they should be able to be removed. I just haven't tested that.

BTW, I notice that you are using the outdated 1.5 version of the Ultimate Fade Script. You may upgrade to version 1.51 without its affecting the issue we are dealing with one way or the other, but it will make the script fade in more browsers (browsers added in 1.51 include Opera, Chrome, and Safari).

kad
02-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for everything!