PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow creates validation errors in w3.org HTML validator

CaptJosh
02-02-2009, 09:25 PM
1) Script Title:
Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
This script generates NUMEROUS error indicators when a page containing it is run through the w3.org HTML validator, and none of the other javascripts I use on the page do. Take out the slideshow script, and the page validates perfectly as XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Testing with a new blank XHTML 1.0 Transitional document, using only the script in the header and the output in text, I get 58 errors and 20 warnings from the validator. This script is SORELY in need of being reworked so that it doesn't break validation with current standards.

Theoretically placing the script into a .js file to include in the header instead would get rid of the errors. However, none of my attempts to do this have worked, including such efforts as defining the main script contents as a function to be called from the page. The errors go away, and the page validates, but it doesn't work.

--
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Snookerman
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I've used this script with external JavaScript files and it worked fine. Just insert all the code from step 1 in a blank page, save it as something.js and link to it in the head section. Then insert all the code from step 2 in another blank page, save it as somethingelse.js and link to it in the body section of your page where you want the script to appear.

Good luck!

CaptJosh
02-02-2009, 10:07 PM
That's a possibility. I would note that a javascript validation program I found complained of NUMEROUS missing semicolons though. That may be PART of the problem. Incorrect line terminations are never a good thing.

EDIT: Separate files seems to be doing the trick on the test page. Now to put it in the page that's part of my current contract.