PDA

View Full Version : Fade-in Slideshow

handygal
02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I found this wonderful script. It is just what I need. But, when I copy it into Dreamweaver, it is not working. I see no image (which I changed to images on my local site) on my page and it does not preview (in Firefox). There is nothing on the page.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

Is Dreamweaver incompatible? Does it have to be uploaded to work?

I appreciate your help. I am not a developer so please respond in lay terms that I can understand.

I don't have it uploaded to a server but I can provide the code I am using.

Thanks

Snookerman
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Dreamweaver should only be used for coding. You should test your code in real browsers. I'm guessing you might have made a small mistake so please post the code you have so far and we'll take a look.

jscheuer1
02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I think I'm responsible in part for this thread (after being approached in email), so I'm going to jump in here to say that we can try to troubleshoot the code, but that won't tell us anything about the location of the images.

And, with the advanced troubleshooting routines we have available, it's much easier to diagnose problems from a live page.

This is not to say that it will only work live, only that if you put up a demo of the problem, it will be faster for us to help you. In some cases, the only way we can help. And there are issues that only apply to a live page, so it will help us get over those as well if any of them happen to be a problem with your code.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

handygal
02-03-2009, 02:51 AM
I bit the bullet and uploaded the file (and images). It is still not working so I must have coded something wrong.

http://www.marathonproducts.com/test-cycle.html

At least you can take a look at it now.

Thanks, denise

tigger5
02-03-2009, 04:23 AM
its looking like the path for the images are wrong...i have this script running ...not knowing how ur site is set up...if the images r in 1 folder...and the script is in another...and both folders in the root (not nested in another folder... try putting this as the image path in the script...
../NameOfFolderWithImages/NameOfImage.WithExtension

jscheuer1
02-03-2009, 05:26 AM
The slide show script appears to be working just fine, it's the images that are missing. You have them listed as:

var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["cell-art1.gif", "", ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["cell-art2.gif", "", ""] //image with link syntax
fadeimages[2]=["cell-art3.gif", "", ""] //image with link and target syntax

They are actually:

var fadeimages=new Array()
//SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
fadeimages[0]=["images/cell-art1.jpg", "", ""] //plain image syntax
fadeimages[1]=["images/cell-art2.gif", "", ""] //image with link syntax
fadeimages[2]=["images/cell-art3.gif", "", ""] //image with link and target syntax

handygal
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I knew it was something simple! After I went to bed I thought from your comment that it might have something to do with the location of the images.

It still doesn't show up in the Dreamweaver window but it works when I preview it in Firefox.

Thanks so much! denise

handygal
02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Here is the script on the actual page:

http://www.marathonproducts.com/index-new.html

Is there a way to get rid of the black border around the images? It is pushing things out of place.

denise

jscheuer1
02-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes, this part here (in the body):

<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, pause, optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 300, 259, 1, 3000, 1)

</script>

should be:

<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 300, 259, 0, 3000, 1)
</script>

By way of explanation, the part highlighted in green is just a comment/instructions, it does nothing and actually could be entirely removed. The red number sets the border width.

handygal
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Man, I'm slow. I forgot to look there. Thanks so much! denise